USAPhO 2014 F=ma exam #14, (rotational dynamics)

In summary, the problem involves a disk with a cord wrapped around it, sliding on a frictionless surface with a constant force applied to it. The ratio of translational KE to total KE is equal to I / (MR2 + I). However, the attempt at a solution using v = Rω is incorrect since there is no friction and the disk is not rolling without slipping. The correct approach is to use F=ma=mdv/dt and a similar form for the rotational motion to compute both forms of energy as a function of time, t.
Agrasin
PDF: http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2014/upload/exam1-2014-2-2-answers.pdf

Homework Statement

A disk of moment of inertia I, mass M, and radius R has a cord wrapped around it tightly as
shown in the diagram. The disk is free to slide on its side as shown in the top down view. A
constant force of T is applied to the end of the cord and accelerates the disk along a frictionless
surface.

After the disk has accelerated some distance, determine the ratio of the translational KE to total KE of the disk,

KEtranslational / KEtotal =

Answer) I / (MR2 +I)

Homework Equations

Torque = Iα = F x R

KE = 1/2 mv2 or 1/2 Iω2

The Attempt at a Solution

My conceptual understanding is the problem here, I think. If there is absolutely no friction, then would there be any rotation? I think there would be, but I'm not sure.

Here's an attempt:

KEtranslational / KEtotal = Mv2 / (Mv2 + Iω2)

Substituting v = Rω, cancelling the ω2 terms

= MR2 / (MR2 + I)

So I get an answer close but not exactly the correct answer. The answer I got is choice E on the actual exam, meaning my attempt probably has a common mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agrasin said:
PDF: http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2014/upload/exam1-2014-2-2-answers.pdf

Homework Statement

A disk of moment of inertia I, mass M, and radius R has a cord wrapped around it tightly as
shown in the diagram. The disk is free to slide on its side as shown in the top down view. A
constant force of T is applied to the end of the cord and accelerates the disk along a frictionless
surface.

After the disk has accelerated some distance, determine the ratio of the translational KE to total KE of the disk,

KEtranslational / KEtotal =

Answer) I / (MR2 +I)

Homework Equations

Torque = Iα = F x R

KE = 1/2 mv2 or 1/2 Iω2

The Attempt at a Solution

My conceptual understanding is the problem here, I think. If there is absolutely no friction, then would there be any rotation? I think there would be, but I'm not sure.

Here's an attempt:

KEtranslational / KEtotal = Mv2 / (Mv2 + Iω2)

Substituting v = Rω, cancelling the ω2 terms

= MR2 / (MR2 + I)

So I get an answer close but not exactly the correct answer. The answer I got is choice E on the actual exam, meaning my attempt probably has a common mistake.

v = Rω isn't true. That's only true if you are rolling without slipping. Since you have no friction, that's not true. Use F=ma=mdv/dt and a similar form for the rotational motion to compute both forms of energy as a function of time, t.

What was the difficulty level of USAPhO 2014 F=ma exam #14?

The difficulty level of this specific problem may vary for different individuals, as it depends on their familiarity and understanding of rotational dynamics concepts. However, in general, this problem was considered to be of moderate difficulty.

What were the key concepts tested in USAPhO 2014 F=ma exam #14?

This problem tested the understanding of rotational dynamics, specifically the application of the moment of inertia and the conservation of angular momentum.

How did one approach solving USAPhO 2014 F=ma exam #14?

To solve this problem, one first needed to draw a free body diagram and identify the forces acting on the rotating object. Then, the moment of inertia and conservation of angular momentum equations could be applied to set up and solve the equations of motion.

Can you provide a step-by-step solution for USAPhO 2014 F=ma exam #14?

Solving this problem requires knowledge of rotational dynamics concepts and equations. A step-by-step solution can be found in the F=ma exam solutions released by the American Association of Physics Teachers.

How can one prepare for USAPhO 2014 F=ma exam #14?

To prepare for this problem, one should have a strong understanding of rotational dynamics concepts and equations. Practice problems from past USAPhO exams and review any relevant material from textbooks or online resources.