1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

USAPhO 2014 F=ma exam #14, (rotational dynamics)

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    PDF: http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2014/upload/exam1-2014-2-2-answers.pdf

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A disk of moment of inertia I, mass M, and radius R has a cord wrapped around it tightly as
    shown in the diagram. The disk is free to slide on its side as shown in the top down view. A
    constant force of T is applied to the end of the cord and accelerates the disk along a frictionless
    surface.

After the disk has accelerated some distance, determine the ratio of the translational KE to total KE of the disk,

KEtranslational / KEtotal =

Answer) I / (MR2 +I)

2. Relevant equations

Torque = Iα = F x R

KE = 1/2 mv2 or 1/2 Iω2

3. The attempt at a solution

My conceptual understanding is the problem here, I think. If there is absolutely no friction, then would there be any rotation? I think there would be, but I'm not sure.

Here's an attempt:

KEtranslational / KEtotal = Mv2 / (Mv2 + Iω2)

Substituting v = Rω, cancelling the ω2 terms

= MR2 / (MR2 + I)

So I get an answer close but not exactly the correct answer. The answer I got is choice E on the actual exam, meaning my attempt probably has a common mistake.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v = Rω isn't true. That's only true if you are rolling without slipping. Since you have no friction, that's not true. Use F=ma=mdv/dt and a similar form for the rotational motion to compute both forms of energy as a function of time, t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted