USAPhO 2009 F=MA exam #13, (spring SHM)

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between amplitude and spring constant in a system with a mass attached to a wall by a spring. It is concluded that if the spring constant is doubled, the amplitude of the resulting oscillation will be (1/√2) times the original amplitude. The equation PE = (kx^2)/2 is used to explain this relationship.
Agrasin

Homework Statement

Late correction, this is the 2008 F=ma exam: http://www.aapt.org/Programs/contests/upload/olympiad_2008_fnet_ma.pdf

A mass is attached to the wall by a spring of constant k. When the spring is at its natural length,
the mass is given a certain initial velocity, resulting in oscillations of amplitude A. If the spring
is replaced by a spring of constant 2k, and the mass is given the same initial velocity, what is the
amplitude of the resulting oscillation?

Homework Equations

Uh... This is the problem here. I might just be forgetful, but I cannot recall any equation relating amplitude and f, T, k, or v.

T = 2∏√(m/k) is the most relevant formula I could recall.

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuition led me to choose the correct answer: (1/√2)A

I know if k is doubled, the amplitude will decrease. I had a feeling there is a relationship k ∝ A^2 given a constant v_initial and mass. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about KE and PE. What did doubling the spring constant do to the total energy of the system?

PE = (kx2)/2

Doubling k doubles the PE at any point x.

Thank you. But now I'm trying to think of an equation relating PE and Amplitude and I can't think of anything.

What is amplitude?

Voko, I don't know what you're asking. If you want the definition of amplitude, it is the distance (in this case) from equilibrium to the maximum compression/ extension of the spring.

I'm still thinking of an equation relating PE with amplitude.

So amplitude has something to do with distance. So does PE. Can you connect the two?

Likes 1 person
Oh wow! I must have been suffering from a massive brain fart.

PE = (kx2)/2

Given the same kinetic energy (v stays constant), and a doubled spring constant, PE1 = PE2 = (2k(x/√2)2)/2

x2 = (1/√2)A
Thanks.

1. What is the concept being tested in this problem?

The concept being tested in this problem is simple harmonic motion (SHM).

2. What is the equation for spring force in SHM?

The equation for spring force in SHM is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

3. How can the spring constant be determined experimentally?

The spring constant can be determined experimentally by measuring the force applied to the spring and the resulting displacement, and then using the equation F = -kx to solve for k.

4. Can the period of a spring undergoing SHM be affected by the mass of the object attached to it?

Yes, the period of a spring undergoing SHM can be affected by the mass of the object attached to it. The period is directly proportional to the square root of the mass, meaning that a heavier object will have a longer period.

5. How does the amplitude of a spring's oscillation affect its energy?

The amplitude of a spring's oscillation does not affect its energy. The energy of a spring undergoing SHM is solely determined by its mass, spring constant, and amplitude. However, a larger amplitude will result in a larger maximum kinetic and potential energy, but the total energy remains the same.