Rotational Dynamics: Pulley and mass system

In summary, a 8.0-cm radius disk with a rotational inertia of 0.12 kg*m^2 and a 10-kg mass hanging from a string fastened to the disk is raised by a crank applying a 9.0-N*m torque. The acceleration of the mass is 0.50 m/s^2. The net torque of the system is determined using the equations ∑\tau = I\alpha and ∑F = ma, and the acceleration is found to be a = (mg)/((I/r-9/(-r))-m). The mistake in the calculations was due to improper algebra.
henryli78

Homework Statement

A 8.0-cm radius disk with a rotational inertia of 0.12 kg*m^2 is free to rotate on a horizontal axis. A string is fastened to the surface of the disk and a 10-kg mass hangs from the other end. The mass is raised by a using a crank to apply a 9.0-N*m torque to the disk. The acceleration of the mass is:
A. 0.50 m/s^2
B. 1.7 m/s^2
C. 6.2 m/s^2
D. 12 m/s^2
E. 20 m/s^2
Answer: A

Homework Equations

∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
∑F = ma
a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

The net torque of the system is:
I*[itex]\alpha[/itex] = I*a/r = 9.0 N*m - [itex]F_{T}[/itex]*r
Thus, [itex]F_{T}[/itex] = (Ia/r-9)/(-r)
By N2L:
ma = [itex]F_{T}[/itex] - mg = (Ia/r-9)/(-r) - mg
Rearranging gives:
a = (mg)/((I/r-9/(-r))-m) and substituting in values gives me an answer of about 1.17 m/s^2.

Can someone direct me on where I have gone wrong in my calculations? I would very much appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
henryli78 said:
...ma = [itex]F_{T}[/itex] - mg = (Ia/r-9)/(-r) - mg...

Open up the RHS and carefully collect the terms containing a.

Ok thank you. I guess my mistake was just in bad algebra :P

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, angular acceleration, and moment of inertia.

2. What is a pulley and mass system?

A pulley and mass system is a mechanical system that consists of a mass connected to a rope or cable, which is then wrapped around one or more pulleys. The system allows for the transfer of force and can change the direction of the applied force.

3. How does a pulley and mass system work?

In a pulley and mass system, the force applied to the rope or cable is transmitted to the mass through tension. The pulleys change the direction of the force to allow for easier lifting of the mass. The system also takes advantage of the principle of conservation of energy.

4. What is the role of moment of inertia in rotational dynamics?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In rotational dynamics, it is used to calculate the torque needed to accelerate an object and determine its angular acceleration.

5. How is rotational dynamics applied in real-world situations?

Rotational dynamics is applied in various real-world situations, such as the motion of a spinning top, a rotating fan, or a rolling ball. It is also essential in understanding the movement of structures, such as bridges and cranes, and in designing machines like turbines and engines.