Use IVT to show that f(x) exists on interval (0,1)

• Thread starter macbowes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary: Ooooooooooohhhhhh. That clears up a lot! I could do the math, I just didn't know what I was doing. Aside for 3*1 of course, that's devilishly difficult.
macbowes

Homework Statement

Using IVT, show that [tex]3(\cos(\pi x)) - 3x + 1[/tex] exists on interval (0,1)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got the right idea, but on my quiz (this was a question I just had on a quiz) I didn't know if I was finished or not.

So when using 0 on the interval (0,1), this is the equation:

[tex]3(\cos(\pi 0)) - 3(0) + 1[/tex] =

[tex]3(\cos(0)) - 3(0) + 1[/tex] =

[tex]3(1) + 1[/tex] =

3 + 1 = 4

Then I used 1 on the interval, which yielded this:

[tex]3(\cos(\pi 1)) - 3(1) + 1[/tex] =

[tex]3(\cos(\pi)) - 3 + 1[/tex] =

[tex]3(-1) - 3 + 1[/tex] =

[tex]-3 - 3 + 1[/tex] = -5

So I've resulted in -5 and 4, which is large than (0,1), so does that means it exists on that interval? I've got these answers, but I'm not really sure what I do with them. I ended up just writing "squeeze", but when I handed it in he tsk'd at it, so I don't think that's right, lol.

EDIT: I'm trying to fix my post as I made a blatant error that LC pointed out, but what I'm trying to delete (3(1) = 4, lol) keeps appearing in latex in my post even though it's not there when I click the edit button. Anyone know what's up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
macbowes said:

Homework Statement

Using IVT, show that [tex]3(\cos(\pi x)) - 3x + 1[/tex] exists on interval (0,1)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got the right idea, but on my quiz (this was a question I just had on a quiz) I didn't know if I was finished or not.

So when using 0 on the interval (0,1), this is the equation:

[tex]3(\cos(\pi (0)) - 3(0) + 1[/tex] =

[tex]3(\cos(0)) - 3(0) + 1[/tex] =

[tex]3(1) + 1[/tex] =

[tex]4 + 1[/tex] = 5

Does 3*1 really equal 4?

Then I used 1 on the interval, which yielded this:

[tex]3(\cos(\pi (1)) - 3(1) + 1[/tex] =

[tex]3(\cos(\pi)) - 3 + 1[/tex] =

[tex]3(-1) - 3 + 1[/tex] =

[tex]-3 - 3 + 1[/tex] = -5

So I've resulted in -5 and 5, which is large than (0,1), ...

Huh?? You have shown f(0) = 4 and f(1) = -5.

Try to draw a continuous function on [0,1] that does that and doesn't have any x where f(x) = 0.

LCKurtz said:
Does 3*1 really equal 4?

Well I'm an idiot, LOL! Fixing it now :D.

LCKurtz said:

Try to draw a continuous function on [0,1] that does that and doesn't have any x where f(x) = 0.

Is that what I'm supposed to get? I suppose it's my lack of understand of what IVT really is. I wasn't really sure what an actually answer to this type of question would look like, so I wasn't sure where to go from there.

LCKurtz said:
Does 3*1 really equal 4?

macbowes said:
Is that what I'm supposed to get? I suppose it's my lack of understand of what IVT really is. I wasn't really sure what an actually answer to this type of question would look like, so I wasn't sure where to go from there.

The point of the intermediate value theorem is that a continuous function can't jump over the intermediate values. So if it is positive at one point and negative at another, the only way its graph can get from one to the other is to go through 0. So you know there must be a root between them even if you don't know exactly where it is.

LCKurtz said:
The point of the intermediate value theorem is that a continuous function can't jump over the intermediate values. So if it is positive at one point and negative at another, the only way its graph can get from one to the other is to go through 0. So you know there must be a root between them even if you don't know exactly where it is.

Ooooooooooohhhhhh. That clears up a lot! I could do the math, I just didn't know what I was doing. Aside for 3*1 of course, that's devilishly difficult.

1. What does IVT stand for?

IVT stands for Intermediate Value Theorem.

2. How does IVT help to show the existence of f(x) on interval (0,1)?

IVT states that if a continuous function has a range of values from a to b, then it must also take on every value in between a and b. This means that if we can show that f(x) takes on values from 0 to 1, then it must also take on every value in between, including those within the interval (0,1).

3. What are the requirements for using IVT to show the existence of f(x) on interval (0,1)?

The function f(x) must be continuous on the interval (0,1) and it must have a range of values from 0 to 1. Additionally, the endpoints of the interval (0,1) must be included in the range of f(x).

4. Can IVT be used to show the existence of f(x) on a closed interval?

Yes, IVT can be used on closed intervals as well. The only requirement is that the function is continuous on the interval and has a range of values that includes the endpoints of the interval.

5. Can IVT be used to show the existence of f(x) on an open interval?

No, IVT cannot be used on open intervals. This is because open intervals do not include their endpoints, and IVT requires the endpoints to be included in the range of the function.