Use of Thevenin's theorem in Steady State Analysis

In summary: The solution is that I1 = K*I2/(R1+j*w*L). So, in the leftmost loop, the current through R1 is determined by the value of I2, the mesh current, and the value of R1, and in the rightmost loop, the current through R1 is determined by the value of I1, the mesh current, and the value of w*L, the length of the wire between the nodes.
rudderauthori

Homework Statement

R1 = 29 ohm
R2 = 23 ohm
f = 60hz
L = 20mH
C = .1uF
Is = 27A
K = 12
See picture for circuit.

Homework Equations

KCL, KVL, is = Is cos (wt), V = IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

I first did a source conversion to volts then tried to love using KCL and the nodal method. When I would try to get an answer it wouldn't work. The problem mostly being I don't know how to handle the dependent voltage source in the middle when I would set up my equations.

I1 = (Vs + K*I1)/(R1+j*w*L)
I2 = (K*I1-Vo)/(R2)
Io = Vo/(-j(1/wC))783V-R1I1-j*w*L-K*I1 = 0 ??

Attachments

• The problem.JPG
    The problem.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 475
  • scratch sheet 1.jpg
    scratch sheet 1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 512
  • scratch sheet 2.jpg
    scratch sheet 2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
For Question 6 and 7, instead of doing a source conversion on the current source and resistor, then using nodal, would you consider using mesh analysis?

In the left most loop we can say the mesh current is equal to the current source value of 27A.

Can you write an equation using this information to solve for the mesh current (i1) in the second equation? This would then given you the dependent source voltage, which you could use in a voltage divider to determine the real and imaginary components across the capacitor (which is the same as across the terminals x and y).

For Question 8 and 9, in finding the Thevinin Equivalent Impendance of a circuit, are you familiar with the process of "Short Circuit the voltage (including dependent voltage) sources and Open Circuit the current (including dependent current) sources and combine everything that's left (all the series and parallel combinations) until you have one impedance"?

You have to be a bit subtle about writing your loop equations when there's a controlled source involved.

Note that in the case of this circuit the controlled source is effectively isolating the loops to its left from the loops to its right (in terms of KVL equations). No matter what happens at X-Y, no matter what current is pushed through R2, the voltage between the ground node and the top of the k*i1 source will be fixed by that k*i1 source. Current flowing through the k*i1 source will not affect its voltage! Further, the open circuit voltage at the x-y terminals will be given by k*i1 in concert with the voltage divider comprising R2 and C.

So, just looking at the leftmost two loops, the loop with the Is source has a fixed mesh current of Is. So you're really down to one loop to be concerned with. Call the mesh current in the central loop I2. What then is the current, I1, flowing through R1 in terms of I2 and Is?

Related to Use of Thevenin's theorem in Steady State Analysis

What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental concept in electrical engineering that states any linear electrical network can be simplified into an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single impedance. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit and is used to analyze the behavior of a complex circuit in a simpler way.

How is Thevenin's theorem used in steady state analysis?

In steady state analysis, Thevenin's theorem is used to simplify a complex circuit into a single voltage source and a single impedance. This allows for easier calculation of the current and voltage values in the circuit. By using the Thevenin equivalent circuit, we can determine the behavior of the circuit at a specific point in time, without having to analyze the entire network.

What are the benefits of using Thevenin's theorem in steady state analysis?

Thevenin's theorem allows for a more efficient and simplified analysis of complex circuits. It reduces the number of components in the circuit, making calculations easier and faster. It also helps in determining the most efficient way to transfer power from one part of the circuit to another.

Are there any limitations to using Thevenin's theorem in steady state analysis?

While Thevenin's theorem is very useful in steady state analysis, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to linear circuits, and it assumes that the values of the components in the circuit remain constant. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of noise or non-linear behavior in the circuit.

How do you calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit, one must first find the open circuit voltage (Voc) and the equivalent impedance (Zeq) at the load terminals. Voc is found by removing the load and finding the voltage across the open terminals, while Zeq is found by replacing all voltage sources with a short circuit and all current sources with an open circuit, and then calculating the equivalent impedance. Once these values are found, the Thevenin equivalent circuit can be drawn with Voc as the voltage source and Zeq as the impedance.