1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transform

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transform of

f(t) = {t2, t<4
    {t, t[itex]\geq[/itex]4

2. Relevant equations

L{f(t - a)u(t - a)} = e-as F(s)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so I applied the unit step function to get the equation in to the form
    f(t) = t2 - t2(u)(t - 4) + t(u)(t - 4)
    = t2(1 -u(t - 4) + t(u)(t - 4))

However now I get lost as I know it needs to be in the form f(t - a)u(t - a) and I see that the second part of equation is but the first part is confusing me I think maybe I am suppose to complete the square though I just can't see how?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2
    You've missplaced a parenthesis. There should be no t^3 power in your expression for f(t).

Anyway, you don't need to complete the square; that would not be appropriate. Think about what g(t1) needs to be so that g(t-a) = t2.

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    Sorry but I am still not sure what to do with the t2 but with my second term, t2(u)(t - 4) is right to do this..

L{t2(u)(t - 4)
    = t2 8t +16 - 8t - 16
    = (t - 4)2 + 8t - 16)(u)(t - 4)
    = ((t - 4)2 _ 8(t - 4) + 16)(u)(t - 4)
    = (2/s3 + 8/s2 and here I am not sure what 16 becomes?)e-4s

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5
    Sorry I posted this before than saw you reply in my other thread so replied with the example I was working with.. should I have linked you to this thread instead is that still okay?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook