Use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transform

In summary, the homework statement is that you should use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transform of f(t). You are having difficulty with the equation and need to think about what g(t1) needs to be in order to get g(t-a) = t2.
Rubik

Homework Statement

Use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transform of

f(t) = {t2, t<4
{t, t[itex]\geq[/itex]4

Homework Equations

L{f(t - a)u(t - a)} = e-as F(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I applied the unit step function to get the equation into the form
f(t) = t2 - t2(u)(t - 4) + t(u)(t - 4)
= t2(1 -u(t - 4) + t(u)(t - 4))

However now I get lost as I know it needs to be in the form f(t - a)u(t - a) and I see that the second part of equation is but the first part is confusing me I think maybe I am suppose to complete the square though I just can't see how?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've missplaced a parenthesis. There should be no t^3 power in your expression for f(t).

Anyway, you don't need to complete the square; that would not be appropriate. Think about what g(t1) needs to be so that g(t-a) = t2.

Sorry but I am still not sure what to do with the t2 but with my second term, t2(u)(t - 4) is right to do this..

L{t2(u)(t - 4)
= t2 8t +16 - 8t - 16
= (t - 4)2 + 8t - 16)(u)(t - 4)
= ((t - 4)2 _ 8(t - 4) + 16)(u)(t - 4)
= (2/s3 + 8/s2 and here I am not sure what 16 becomes?)e-4s

Sorry I posted this before than saw you reply in my other thread so replied with the example I was working with.. should I have linked you to this thread instead is that still okay?

1. What is the second shifting theorem?

The second shifting theorem is a rule used in Laplace transform to simplify the process of finding the transform of a function that is multiplied by e^at. It states that the Laplace transform of f(t)e^at is equal to the Laplace transform of f(t) shifted by a units to the right.

2. How do I use the second shifting theorem to find the Laplace transform?

To use the second shifting theorem, you first need to identify the function f(t) and the value of a. Then, you can use the standard Laplace transform table to find the transform of f(t), and simply shift the result by a units to the right to find the transform of f(t)e^at.

3. Can the second shifting theorem be applied to any function?

No, the second shifting theorem can only be applied to functions that are multiplied by e^at. If the function does not have this form, you will need to use other techniques to find its Laplace transform.

4. Why is the second shifting theorem important?

The second shifting theorem is important because it allows for a quicker and easier way to find the Laplace transform of a function that is multiplied by e^at. This makes it a useful tool in many areas of science and engineering, such as in signal processing and control systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the second shifting theorem?

Yes, the second shifting theorem has some limitations. It can only be applied to functions that are multiplied by e^at, and it cannot be used for functions with multiple e^at terms or functions with discontinuities. In these cases, other methods such as partial fraction decomposition may be needed.