Using Laplace Transform to solve a differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the use of Laplace transforms and the Dirac delta function. The solution provided by the user is different from the one obtained through Wolframalpha, and the discrepancy is attributed to not remembering trigonometric identities.
november1992

Homework Statement

y" + y = 4δ(t-2π); y(0)=1, y'(0)=0

Homework Equations

L[f(t-a) U(t-a)] = [itex]e^{-as}[/itex] L[f(t)]

L[δ(t-c)] = [itex]e^{-cs}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is: cos(t) + 4U(t-2π)sin(t-2π).

When I used Wolframalpha it gave me 4sin(t)U(t-2π) + cos(t)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi november1992!

So what is your question?

Did you know that sin(t-2π)=sin(t) since the sine has a period of 2π?

I meant to ask why is my answer different. I don't remember any of the trig identities so I'll have to review them.

Thanks for answering my question!

1. What is the purpose of using Laplace Transform to solve a differential equation?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool that allows us to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. This method is particularly useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients.

2. How does the Laplace Transform work?

The Laplace Transform takes a function of time and converts it into a function of complex variable s. This transformed function can then be manipulated using algebraic techniques to solve the differential equation. The inverse Laplace Transform is then applied to obtain the solution in terms of time again.

3. What types of differential equations can be solved using Laplace Transform?

Laplace Transform is most useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It can also be used for solving systems of differential equations and boundary value problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform for solving differential equations?

One limitation is that the differential equation must have initial conditions at t=0. In addition, the Laplace Transform method may not be suitable for solving certain types of non-linear differential equations and equations with variable coefficients.

5. What are the benefits of using Laplace Transform over other methods for solving differential equations?

The Laplace Transform method is often considered more efficient and less prone to error compared to other methods, such as the power series method or the method of undetermined coefficients. It also allows for the solution of certain types of differential equations that may not be solvable using other techniques.