1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Maximum Modulus Principle

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose p is a polynomial of degree n and |p(z)|≤M if |z|=1

Show that |p(z)|≤M|z|[itex]^{n}[/itex] if |z|≥1

2. Relevant equations

Maximum Modulus Principle: If f is a nonconstant analytic function on a domain D, then |f| can have no local maximum on D.

3. The attempt at a solution

Book says to apply the maximum modulus principle to [itex]\frac{p(z)}{z^{n}}[/itex] on domain |z|>1 but I am unsure why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

p(z)/z^n is 'analytic at infinity'. Has the book gone over what that means?

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    I believe f(z) is analytic at infinity if f(1/z) is analytic at z=0

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it. And p(z)/z^n is one of those functions, yes? It's just a polynomial in 1/z. If that's the case you can treat the function as analytic on the domain |z|>1.

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5
    so we can say that since p(z)/z^n is analytic at infinity then it is analytic on the domain |z|>1 so according to the maximum modulus principle, p(z)/z^n can have no local maximum on domain (|z|>1) right?

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6
    I'm thinking now I have to show that |p(z)/z^n|≤M if |z|≥1 is this correct?

8. Apr 13, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, so |p(z)/z^n|<=M on |z|>1. Otherwise it would have a local maximum.

9. Apr 13, 2012 #8
    and M is just a real number? it is not specified anywhere... and what about |z|=1 since it says on |z|≥1 and we have looked at |z|>1

10. Apr 13, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course M is real. Saying |p(z)|<=M doesn't make any sense if M is complex. The whole point is that if |f(z)|<=M on the boundary of an analytic domain then |f(z)|<=M on the interior of that domain. That's the maximum principle.

11. Apr 13, 2012 #10
    ok i thought so, just seemed like a weird variable for a real number.. but I think i understand it now, thank you so much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook