Using nuclear shell model to determine parity and spin

In summary, the stable isotopes of calcium are 40Ca, 42Ca, 43Ca, 44Ca, 46Ca, and 48Ca. All of these isotopes, except for 43Ca, have even-even parity and spin assignments of 0 and even. To determine the spin and parity of 43Ca, the remaining neutron is considered, which will sit in the 1f\frac{7}{2} shell with nuclear spin j = \frac{7}{2} and parity = -1. This results in a spin and parity assignment of ##\frac{7}{2}^-## for 43Ca.
Flucky

Homework Statement

Use the shell model to determine the parity and spin assignments for all the stable isotopes of calcium.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

The stable isotopes seem to be 40Ca, 42Ca, 43Ca, 44Ca, 46Ca, and 48Ca

I believe all of those isotopes except 43Ca are even-even which means that they have spin=0 and parity=even, however I'm a bit stuck on how to work out the spin and parity of 43Ca.

There are 23 neutrons, so 20 of those fill up the shells to the magic number (20) and we have 3 left over.

How do I work out the orbital angular momentum l and j-value of those?

With these values I could work out the spin of the unpaired nucleon (which would be the j-value) and its parity (-1)l

Physics news on Phys.org
Flucky said:
I believe all of those isotopes except 43Ca are even-even which means that they have spin=0 and parity=even

Yes.

Flucky said:
There are 23 neutrons, so 20 of those fill up the shells to the magic number (20) and we have 3 left over.

How do I work out the orbital angular momentum l and j-value of those?

With these values I could work out the spin of the unpaired nucleon (which would be the j-value) and its parity (-1)l

You're almost there - you clearly know that paired nucleons will couple to 0+ in the lowest energy, since you know what the GS spin and parity is for even-even nuclei. Then, you know that you only have one neutron left over that you need to worry about. Now, to work out the spin and parity, you need to know what shell it will sit in.

I don't know where in learning about the shell model you are. Have you come across this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Shells.png/220px-Shells.png sort of diagram? Or have you gotten to the Nilsson diagram? http://ie.lbl.gov/toipdf/nilsson.pdf. As 43Ca will be very close to spherical, either will work to answer the question.

e.bar.goum said:
I don't know where in learning about the shell model you are. Have you come across this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Shells.png/220px-Shells.png sort of diagram? Or have you gotten to the Nilsson diagram? http://ie.lbl.gov/toipdf/nilsson.pdf. As 43Ca will be very close to spherical, either will work to answer the question.

I'm pretty sure we'd only be working with the first one, the Nilsson diagram looks more advanced.

Going off the first diagram it looks like our lone neutron would be in the 1f[itex]\frac{7}{2}[/itex] shell where nuclear spin j = [itex]\frac{7}{2}[/itex] and parity = (-1)3 [to the power 3 because it is in the f shell] = -1 = odd?

Flucky said:
I'm pretty sure we'd only be working with the first one, the Nilsson diagram looks more advanced.

The Nilsson diagram becomes important if you want to talk about deformed nuclei. If you look at the center line of the Nilsson diagram, you'll see that it's the same as the first diagram.

Flucky said:
Going off the first diagram it looks like our lone neutron would be in the 1f[itex]\frac{7}{2}[/itex] shell where nuclear spin j = [itex]\frac{7}{2}[/itex] and parity = (-1)3 [to the power 3 because it is in the f shell] = -1 = odd?

##\frac{7}{2}^-## -- You've got it! You can always check your answer by looking at the data for nuclei. Here's a good place to look. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/chartNuc.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
e.bar.goum said:
##\frac{7}{2}^-## -- You've got it! You can always check your answer by looking at the data for nuclei. Here's a good place to look. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/chartNuc.jsp

Great, thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes e.bar.goum

1. What is the nuclear shell model?

The nuclear shell model is a theoretical model used to describe the structure of atomic nuclei. It is based on the concept of energy levels, similar to the electron energy levels in an atom, but for the nucleus. It helps to explain the arrangement and stability of protons and neutrons within a nucleus.

2. How does the nuclear shell model determine parity and spin?

The nuclear shell model determines parity and spin by assigning each nucleon (proton or neutron) to a specific energy level and orbital within the nucleus. This model takes into account the strong nuclear force, which plays a significant role in determining the spin and parity of the nucleons.

3. What is parity in the context of nuclear shell model?

In the context of nuclear shell model, parity refers to the symmetry or asymmetry of the nuclear energy levels. It is a quantum property that describes whether a system remains the same or changes when viewed from a different perspective. Parity can be either even or odd, and it affects the stability and behavior of the nucleus.

4. How is spin determined using the nuclear shell model?

The nuclear shell model determines spin by assigning each nucleon to a specific energy level and orbital within the nucleus. The spin of a nucleon is determined by its orbital angular momentum and its intrinsic spin, which are both taken into account in the shell model. The total spin of the nucleus is the sum of the individual spins of all the nucleons within it.

5. What are the limitations of using the nuclear shell model to determine spin and parity?

The nuclear shell model is a simplified theoretical model and does not take into account all the complex interactions between nucleons in a nucleus. It also assumes that the nucleus is spherical, which is not always the case. Therefore, the model may not accurately predict the spin and parity of certain nuclei, especially those with unusual shapes or high energy levels.