Using Optics To Make An Aircraft Invisible

Using Optics To Make An Aircraft "Invisible"

Homework Statement

Does it seem possible (or practical) to make airplanes invisible to microwave radar by applying some kind of anti-reflection coating?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to say for this. I want to say that it is possible because it seems as if the government has such aircrafts, but I can't seem to think of a reason why. I thought about using Fresnel coefficient for reflection, but I got stuck. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

Does it seem possible (or practical) to make airplanes invisible to microwave radar by applying some kind of anti-reflection coating?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to say for this. I want to say that it is possible because it seems as if the government has such aircrafts, but I can't seem to think of a reason why. I thought about using Fresnel coefficient for reflection, but I got stuck. Thanks.
I think you can just do some reading about "radar absorbing materials" to get some ideas....

Hmm I tried to do that, but I couldn't really find any detailed explanation (in terms of Optics) of how they worked. I just found some results about aircrafts that used the technology.