Using PDFs to Compute the Total Cross Section

In summary, the mistake in your calculation is due to missing factors and incorrect integration limits.
Ajdin Palavric

Homework Statement

I would like to compute the total cross section of a lepton pair production using parton distribution functions.
The main problem I am having is the numerical computation and the order of magnitude I am getting as a final answer, which so far definitely indicates that something is not okay.

Homework Equations

The relevant equations involve the total cross section of the lepton pair production at the parton level:

[itex]\sigma(q_{f}\overline{q_{f}}\rightarrow l^{+}l^{-}) = \frac{4q_{f}^{2}\pi\alpha^{2}}{9s}[/itex],

together with the expression relating parton distribution functions and the total cross section at the hardon level:

[itex]\sigma(p(P_{1})+p(P_{2})\rightarrow X + Y) =\\= \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}dx_{1}dx_{2}\sum_{f}f_{f}(x_{1})f_{\overline{f}}(x_{2})\sigma(q_{f}(x_{1}P)+\overline{q_{f}}(x_{2}P)\rightarrow Y).[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is fairly straightforward. I tried to express the total 4-momentum of the virtual photon using [itex]x_{1}[/itex] and [itex]x_{2}.[/itex] The relation I got is the following:

[itex]q^2 = 4x_{1}x_{2}E^2[/itex].

Next, plugging the previous term into the integral I got:

[itex]\sigma(p(P_{1})+p(P_{2})\rightarrow X + Y) =\frac{\pi\alpha^{2}}{9E^{2}}\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}dx_{1}dx_{2}\sum_{f}f_{f}(x_{1})f_{\overline{f}}(x_{2})\frac{q_{f}^{2}}{x_{1} x_{2}}.[/itex]

Here is where the problem for the order of magnitude arises. The term in front of the integral can be computed and using conversion factor converting GeV to mb I got:

[itex]c =\frac{7.2346 nb}{\eta^{2}}[/itex],

where [itex]\eta[/itex] is the energy scale.

Now, I tried to load the PDFs in Mathematica and tried to compute the integrals. I used the PDFs from the following link,

http://www.hep.ucl.ac.uk/mmht/index.shtml
[/B]

Once I loaded everything in Mathematica and performed the integration for u and u bar quark for x ranging from 1E-9 to 1, I got the following results:

https://imgur.com/wQrMdac

wQrMdac

I would like to ask you what could possibly be wrong with this solution and if you could tell me where I am making mistakes. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is that you are missing some factors in your calculation. Firstly, you need to take into account the fact that the PDFs are defined as parton momentum fractions rather than energy fractions. This means that the integration should be done over x_{1} and x_{2} instead of x_{1} and x_{2}E. In addition, the factor \frac{q_{f}^2}{x_{1}x_{2}} should also be included in the integral calculation. Finally, you need to take into account the fact that the PDFs are defined as parton momentum fractions rather than energy fractions. This means that the integration should be done over x_{1} and x_{2} instead of x_{1} and x_{2}E. Finally, you need to include the factor \frac{q_{f}^2}{x_{1} x_{2}} in the integral calculation.

1. What is the total cross section in physics?

The total cross section in physics is a measure of the likelihood that a particle will interact with a target particle. It represents the effective area of the target that the particle will collide with. It is typically denoted by the symbol σ and is measured in units of area (such as barns or square meters).

2. How can PDFs be used to compute the total cross section?

PDFs (parton distribution functions) can be used to compute the total cross section by providing information about the probability of finding a specific type of parton (quark or gluon) within a proton or neutron. These probabilities are then used in equations to calculate the total cross section for a specific interaction between particles.

3. What is the benefit of using PDFs to compute the total cross section?

The use of PDFs provides a more accurate and detailed understanding of the interactions between particles. It takes into account the internal structure of protons and neutrons, which allows for more precise calculations of the total cross section and other related quantities.

4. What are some challenges in using PDFs to compute the total cross section?

One challenge is obtaining accurate and precise measurements of PDFs. This requires data from a variety of experiments and involves complex mathematical calculations. Another challenge is the dependence of PDFs on energy and momentum, which can make it difficult to accurately predict the total cross section at high energies.

5. Are there any limitations to using PDFs to compute the total cross section?

Yes, there are limitations to using PDFs. They are based on assumptions and approximations, so they may not always accurately reflect the true nature of particle interactions. Additionally, PDFs are only applicable to protons and neutrons and cannot be used to compute the total cross section for other types of particles.