Using the Residue Theorem for Complex Analysis Integrals

In summary, Dick and Tiny-Tim found a solution to the homework equation using the residue theorem. They used the binomial theorem to get the coefficient of z2n in (z2 - 1)2n. The residue is \frac{1}{i(2i)^{2n}(2n)!} and the integral is just \frac{2\pi(-1)^n{2n \choose n}}{(2i)^{2n}}.
ryanwilk

Homework Statement

Use the residue theorem to compute [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} sin^{2n}\theta\ d\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathrm{Res}(f,c) = \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \lim_{z \to c} \frac{d^{n-1}}{dz^{n-1}}\left( (z-c)^{n}f(z) \right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the substitution [tex]z = e^{i\theta}[/tex]

so that [tex]sin\theta= \frac{1}{2i} (z - \frac{1}{z})[/tex]

and [tex]d\theta = \frac{dz}{iz}.[/tex]

Therefore, the integral becomes: [tex]\oint_C \frac{1}{iz} \frac{1}{{(2i)}^{2n}} (z - \frac{1}{z})^{2n}\ dz = \frac{1}{i(2i)^{2n}} \oint_C \frac{(z - \frac{1}{z})^{2n}}{z}\ dz[/tex]

so there's a pole at z=0 of order 2n+1.

The residue is [tex]\frac{1}{i(2i)^{2n}(2n)!} \lim_{z \to 0} \frac{d^{2n}}{dz^{2n}} z^{2n} (z - \frac{1}{z})^{2n} = \frac{1}{i(2i)^{2n}(2n)!} \lim_{z \to 0} \frac{d^{2n}}{dz^{2n}} (z^2-1)^{2n}.[/tex]

But I have no idea how to evaluate this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi ryanwilk! :smile:

in that final differential, you only need the coefficient of z2n in z(z2 - 1)2n … but isn't that zero? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
hi ryanwilk! :smile:

in that final differential, you only need the coefficient of z2n in z(z2 - 1)2n … but isn't that zero? :confused:

Ah I see! It should be just the coefficient of z2n in (z2 - 1)2n though, which is non-zero but looks complicated.

Last edited:
tiny-tim is saying that the only term that contributes to the limit as z->0 of the 2n'th derivative of (z^2-1)^(2n) is the term containing z^(2n). In other words, use the binomial theorem on (z^2-1)^(2n). I think he got the extra z from an earlier version of your post.

Last edited:
Dick said:
tiny-tim is saying that the only term that contributes to the limit as z->0 of the 2n'th derivative of (z^2-1)^(2n) is the term containing z^(2n). In other words, use the binomial theorem on (z^2-1)^(2n). I think he got the extra z from an earlier version of your post.

Oh right, so [tex]\lim_{z \to 0} \frac{d^{2n}}{dz^{2n}} (z^2-1)^{2n}[/tex] seems to be [tex](-1)^n(2n)!{2n \choose n}.[/tex]

The residue is [tex]\frac{(-1)^n{2n \choose n}}{i(2i)^{2n}}[/tex] so the integral is just [tex]\frac{2\pi(-1)^n{2n \choose n}}{(2i)^{2n}}[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Yup! :biggrin:

EDIT: oh, you altered it :redface:

my "yup" was for the first line, i haven't checked the actual residue

Last edited:
ryanwilk said:
Oh right, so [tex]\lim_{z \to 0} \frac{d^{2n}}{dz^{2n}} (z^2-1)^{2n}[/tex] seems to be [tex](-1)^n(2n)!{2n \choose n}.[/tex]

The residue is [tex]\frac{(-1)^n{2n \choose n}}{i(2i)^{2n}}[/tex] so the integral is just [tex]\frac{2\pi(-1)^n{2n \choose n}}{(2i)^{2n}}[/tex] ?

I checked the whole thing and that's correct. Of course, you can also cancel the (-1)^n in the numerator with the (i)^(2n). You know the result should be positive.

tiny-tim said:
Yup! :biggrin:

EDIT: oh, you altered it :redface:

Yup, sorry about that!

Dick said:
I checked the whole thing and that's correct. Of course, you can also cancel the (-1)^n in the numerator with the (i)^(2n). You know the result should be positive

Aha, so the final result is: [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} sin^{2n}\theta\ d\theta = \frac{\pi*{2n \choose n}}{(2)^{2n-1}} [/tex].

Thanks a lot, tiny-tim and Dick! :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Using the Residue Theorem for Complex Analysis Integrals

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and the functions of these numbers. It involves the application of calculus and algebra to analyze functions that are defined on the complex plane.

What is an integral?

In mathematics, an integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the total value of a function over a certain interval.

How is complex analysis integral different from real analysis integral?

The main difference between complex analysis integral and real analysis integral is the type of numbers they deal with. Complex analysis deals with complex numbers, while real analysis deals with real numbers. Additionally, complex analysis integral can be more challenging as it involves working with higher-dimensional spaces and complex functions.

Why is complex analysis integral important?

Complex analysis integral is important in many fields of mathematics and physics. It is used to solve various problems related to differential equations, geometry, and number theory. It also has applications in engineering, statistics, and economics.

What are some practical applications of complex analysis integral?

Some practical applications of complex analysis integral include the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and control theory. In addition, complex analysis integral is used to analyze and design electronic circuits and communication systems.