Using two 18V engines instead of one 36V engine?

In summary, you are looking for a motor that outputs 1hp. Globalspec.com has a search engine that can compare motors from many different companies. A motor out of a skilsaw will be brushed, and odds are not as strong although I'm not sure. You might be able to steal a motor out of a power tool, but you'll still need a gearbox to drive it because you won't be able to use a motor attched directly to the wheel unless it's a stepper motor. The motors you linked to are industrial motors and are probably more than you need. There are Hobby brushless DC motors that can be purchased relatively inexpensively on the web, I've bought one off of ebay and others
Jboogey2010
Ok, so I am working on a project for the summer that involves building a robot-like RC car/atv (for off-road).
I want to figure out the cheapest way to get an engine that will output 1hp (which I am pretty sure is pretty close to 36 VDC, correct me if I am wrong though).

Is there a way to use two 18v engines to power the 4 wheels similar to the way a single 36v engine would power 4 wheels?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Voltage is just a measure of electrical potential, it is not comparable to units of power such as horsepower or watts. 1hp is 746 watts, and to caluclate a motor's power in watts you use the equation P=V*I.

With that in mind, I recommend you take a look at globalspec.com. They have a search engine that can compare motors from many different companies. You should specify your motor based on the voltage of the battery pack you plan to use and the power output you need.

Thanks for giving me that site, it has a lot of good information on motors. However, there is one problem that I face with this project I am doing, and that is expenses. The motors sold by companies have been quite pricey so far, so I have been trying to figure out how to get a motor for a lot cheaper.
I am not sure if this is the same concept, but could a 2hp motor from a skillsaw be used similar to the motor in this link?

http://www.globalspec.com/SpecSearch/PartSpecs?partId={717FB3CA-9A4C-4A7A-B162-E5A627F77B53}&vid=181299&comp=17&qid=20569432

Jboogey2010 said:
...one problem that I face with this project I am doing, and that is expenses. The motors sold by companies have been quite pricey so far, so I have been trying to figure out how to get a motor for a lot cheaper.

You might be able to steal a motor out of a power tool, but you'll still need a gearbox to drive it because you won't be able to use a motor attched directly to the wheel unless it's a stepper motor.

The motors you linked to are high-end brushless industrial motors. A motor out of a skilsaw will be brushed, and odds are not as strong although I'm not sure. Either of those motors has to operate at multiple thousands of RPM's to develop the kind of power you're specifying though, so you'll need some kind of gearbox to attach them to a wheel.

The motors you linked to are industrial motors and are probably more than you need. There are Hobby brushless DC motors that can be purchased relatively inexpensively on the web, I've bought one off of ebay and others from my local hobby shop. The one thing that you need to consider is that you need a specialized speed control, usually called a "brushless esc".

I have one like http://cgi.ebay.com/E-flite-brushless-motor-esc-li-poLymer-battery-/120715942225?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1b3b1951#ht_500wt_965
that develops about .8 Hp off of a battery pack that is actually less than its rated maximum. I also have a no-name (from ebay) that is similar but cost less yet develops nearly the same amount of power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make friends with the parts guy at your local chevy dealer. The cobalt has electric power steering, the motors are under recall because the occasionally short out. You may be able to get some of the take-offs for free. They are about 1/4 hp so you could use 1 to drive each wheel of a 4 wheel vehical.

Maybe look into treadmill motors... some are DC brushless. I think they are more like 100 volts DC though.

Related to Using two 18V engines instead of one 36V engine?

1. How does using two 18V engines compare to using one 36V engine in terms of power?

Using two 18V engines can provide the same amount of power as one 36V engine, as long as they are properly connected and synchronized. This is because the total voltage of the two engines will add up to 36V, providing the same amount of power as a single 36V engine.

2. Is there any advantage to using two 18V engines instead of one 36V engine?

Yes, there are several advantages to using two 18V engines instead of one 36V engine. Firstly, using two engines allows for redundancy - if one engine fails, the other can still function, providing a backup. Additionally, using two engines can distribute the weight and workload more evenly, potentially increasing the lifespan of the engines.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using two 18V engines instead of one 36V engine?

One potential drawback of using two 18V engines is the added complexity and cost of having to connect and synchronize the engines. This may also require additional equipment, such as a power distribution panel, which can add to the overall cost. Additionally, using two engines may require more maintenance and upkeep compared to one single engine.

4. Can any type of 18V engines be used together?

It is important to ensure that the two 18V engines being used together are compatible and have similar specifications. This includes factors such as voltage, current, and power rating. Using two engines with significantly different specifications may result in uneven power distribution and potential damage to the engines.

5. How do I properly connect and synchronize two 18V engines?

The exact process of connecting and synchronizing two 18V engines may vary depending on the specific engines being used. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for proper connection and synchronization. In general, it involves connecting the engines in parallel and ensuring that they have the same voltage and speed settings.