1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using uncertainty principle to find minimum Kinetic Energy expectation value

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that a particle travels with a certain known (average) velocity ##v = \left\langle\hat{p}/m\right\rangle##. You know it's position with an uncertainty ##Δx##. Use the uncertainty principle to determine the least possible value for the article's kinetic energy expectation value ##\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle##.

2. Relevant equations
    $$ΔxΔp≥\frac{1}{2} \hbar$$
    $$\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle = \left\langle\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\right\rangle = \frac{\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle}{2m}$$
    $$v = \left\langle\hat{p}/m\right\rangle$$
    $$Δp = \sqrt{\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle - \left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle^2}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

First I solved for ##Δp##.

$$ΔxΔp≥\frac{1}{2} \hbar$$
    $$Δp≥\frac{\hbar}{2Δx}$$

Then I tried getting ##\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle## on its own

$$Δp^2=\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle - \left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle^2$$
    $$\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle = Δp^2 + \left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle^2$$
    $$\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle = Δp^2 + m^2 v^2$$

Then plugged that into ##\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle##

$$\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle = \frac{Δp^2 + m^2 v^2}{2m} \geq \frac{\frac{\hbar^2}{4Δx^2} + m^2 v^2}{2m}$$
    $$\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle \geq \frac{\hbar^2 + 4Δx^2 m^2 v^2}{8mΔx^2}$$

However, I've always seen this written as

$$\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle \geq \frac{\hbar^2}{8mΔx^2}$$

According to what I found, that's the case when ##v=0##, or alternatively when ##\left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle=0##.

Earlier, when we looked at Gaussian wave packets at ##t=0##, we found that ##\left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle=0## because the particle is just as likely to be moving to the left as it is to the right. But in this case ##v## is defined, which is why I'm confused. And when we did problems with the time evolution of ##\left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle##, we found that ##\left\langle\hat{p}(t)\right\rangle = \hbar k_{0}##, where ##k_{0}## is the phase shift on the Fourier transform of ##\psi(x,t)##.

I guess I'm confused about the time evolution of the momentum expectation value and how I should think about it here. I don't get how ##\left\langle\hat{p}(t)\right\rangle = \hbar k_{0}##.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2
    No one can help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook