Using uncertainty principle to find minimum Kinetic Energy expectation value

In summary, the uncertainty principle can be used to determine the least possible value for a particle's kinetic energy expectation value by solving for the uncertainty in momentum and plugging it into the equation for kinetic energy. However, the time evolution of the momentum expectation value may cause confusion when trying to understand this concept.
AluminumFalc

Homework Statement

Assume that a particle travels with a certain known (average) velocity ##v = \left\langle\hat{p}/m\right\rangle##. You know it's position with an uncertainty ##Δx##. Use the uncertainty principle to determine the least possible value for the article's kinetic energy expectation value ##\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle##.

Homework Equations

$$ΔxΔp≥\frac{1}{2} \hbar$$
$$\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle = \left\langle\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\right\rangle = \frac{\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle}{2m}$$
$$v = \left\langle\hat{p}/m\right\rangle$$
$$Δp = \sqrt{\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle - \left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for ##Δp##.

$$ΔxΔp≥\frac{1}{2} \hbar$$
$$Δp≥\frac{\hbar}{2Δx}$$

Then I tried getting ##\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle## on its own

$$Δp^2=\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle - \left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle^2$$
$$\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle = Δp^2 + \left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle^2$$
$$\left\langle\hat{p}^2\right\rangle = Δp^2 + m^2 v^2$$

Then plugged that into ##\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle##

$$\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle = \frac{Δp^2 + m^2 v^2}{2m} \geq \frac{\frac{\hbar^2}{4Δx^2} + m^2 v^2}{2m}$$
$$\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle \geq \frac{\hbar^2 + 4Δx^2 m^2 v^2}{8mΔx^2}$$

However, I've always seen this written as

$$\left\langle\hat{T}\right\rangle \geq \frac{\hbar^2}{8mΔx^2}$$

According to what I found, that's the case when ##v=0##, or alternatively when ##\left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle=0##.

Earlier, when we looked at Gaussian wave packets at ##t=0##, we found that ##\left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle=0## because the particle is just as likely to be moving to the left as it is to the right. But in this case ##v## is defined, which is why I'm confused. And when we did problems with the time evolution of ##\left\langle\hat{p}\right\rangle##, we found that ##\left\langle\hat{p}(t)\right\rangle = \hbar k_{0}##, where ##k_{0}## is the phase shift on the Fourier transform of ##\psi(x,t)##.

I guess I'm confused about the time evolution of the momentum expectation value and how I should think about it here. I don't get how ##\left\langle\hat{p}(t)\right\rangle = \hbar k_{0}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one can help?

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How can the uncertainty principle be used to find the minimum kinetic energy expectation value?

The uncertainty principle can be used to find the minimum kinetic energy expectation value by considering the wave function of a particle. The more spread out the wave function is in position space, the more uncertain the position of the particle is, and therefore the more certain its momentum is. This leads to a higher minimum kinetic energy expectation value.

3. Why is the minimum kinetic energy expectation value important?

The minimum kinetic energy expectation value is important because it gives us information about the energy of a particle in a given quantum state. This information can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the particle and its interactions with other particles.

4. Is the minimum kinetic energy expectation value the same for all particles?

No, the minimum kinetic energy expectation value can vary for different particles depending on their mass and the strength of their interactions. For example, a heavier particle will have a higher minimum kinetic energy expectation value compared to a lighter particle in the same quantum state.

5. How is the minimum kinetic energy expectation value related to the uncertainty in position and momentum?

The minimum kinetic energy expectation value is inversely related to the uncertainty in position and momentum. This means that as the uncertainty in position decreases, the minimum kinetic energy expectation value increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.