Utter confusion regarding distance covered during acceleration in free fall.

In summary, an object falling in a gravitational field with an acceleration of 10 m/s^2 for 1 second will cover a distance of 10 meters and reach a final velocity of 10 m/s. The average speed during this time is also 10 m/s. For an object falling freely for 10 meters from rest, the final velocity would be sqrt200 or approximately 14.1421 m/s.
AakashPandita
Let there be an obj. which is made to fall from a certain height in a gravitaitonal field.
where

a= 10 metre per second squared

Say it falls for 1 second.

v(final velocity)= 10 metre per second.

How much distance does it cover in that 1 second?

distance = speed x time = avg. speed x 1second = 10 m

This means that 10 m is covered during that 1 second.

But how could that be when the velocity had not reached 10 metre per second?

Physics news on Phys.org
If acceleration is constant, and if the starting speed is 0 meters per second and the final speed is 10 meters per second, then what is the average speed?

thank you. i understood my mistake.
But now i have another doubt.

A body falls freely for 10 metres from rest.

what is the final velocity?

i found it is sqrt200.
am i right?

i found sqrt200.
am i right?

AakashPandita said:
A body falls freely for 10 metres from rest. what is the final velocity? i found it is sqrt200.
Correct. You can also write this as 10 x sqrt(2) or ~14.1421. I'm not sure what form of answer your class would prefer.

It is important to understand that during free fall, the object is constantly accelerating at a rate of 10 meters per second squared. This means that its velocity is constantly increasing by 10 meters per second every second. In the first second, the object will have a velocity of 10 meters per second, but it will continue to accelerate and increase its velocity in the following seconds.

Therefore, the distance covered in that 1 second is not just 10 meters, but it is the average of the initial velocity (0 m/s) and the final velocity (10 m/s). This average velocity is 5 meters per second, which when multiplied by the time of 1 second, gives us a distance of 5 meters.

It is understandable to feel confused about this concept, but it is important to remember that velocity and acceleration are constantly changing during free fall. To accurately calculate the distance covered, we need to take into account the average velocity over the given time period. I hope this explanation helps clarify any confusion you may have had.

1. How is distance covered during acceleration in free fall calculated?

Distance covered during acceleration in free fall is calculated using the formula d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. Why is there confusion regarding distance covered during acceleration in free fall?

There is confusion because many people assume that an object in free fall covers equal distances in equal intervals of time, but this is only true in the absence of air resistance. In reality, the object's acceleration decreases as it falls due to air resistance, resulting in a non-uniform distance covered in each interval of time.

3. Can the distance covered during acceleration in free fall be negative?

Yes, the distance can be negative if the object is thrown upwards instead of being dropped. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity is acting in the opposite direction, causing the object to decelerate and eventually fall back down.

4. Does the mass of the object affect the distance covered during acceleration in free fall?

No, the mass of the object does not affect the distance covered during acceleration in free fall. The distance is only affected by the acceleration due to gravity and the time the object spends in free fall.

5. How does air resistance affect the distance covered during acceleration in free fall?

Air resistance decreases the acceleration of the object, resulting in a shorter distance covered in each interval of time. This means that the object will have a longer total distance covered in free fall compared to if there was no air resistance present.