Can a Y-joint at high flow velocity create negative pressure?

• Thread starter Timmertjuhh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: They are used in water wells that are more than about 80ft, 20M, deep, that's where it is impossible to draw enough vacuum (suction) to raise the water that high.In summary, the diagram shows that if you have a straight pipe with no restriction, the air will just flow out at the sideline and end of the pipe.
Timmertjuhh
Hello,

I was wondering, for the understanding of my research, the following.
I try to create a negative pressure using the venturi effect.
There is a problem a.t.m. with the understanding (theoretical) of negative pressure.

Let me qestion this:
If i have a straight pipe. there is halfway in the pipe an y-joint. if i have a flowvelocity of apr. 34 m/s will this create underpressure in the y-joint? so that is will create a suction area? and if so, what creates the underpressure?

I have attached a preview of the problem.

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    2 KB · Views: 209
Physics news on Phys.org
Hallo Timmer, :welcome: !

Bird, Sewart and Lightfoot work out your case in two slightly different forms (liquid and gas -- in the index under: ejector pump - which is a good search term in google).

Momentum from your main stream is transferred to the side stream, thus creating some suction. (suction is not negative pressure, just negative pressure difference).

hello,

Thankyou for the respond. What do mean with the principle of negative pressure difference? I thought suction was created by a pressure under the atmospheric pressure. Like with a venturi, you create a restriction, where the flowvelocity rises and the pressure CAN (not always will) drop under 1 atm. It depends on de pressure at first, and the area of restriction. But if you have a straight pipe without restriction and the air just flows straight. I can only imagine the air will go out at the sideline and end of the pipe. So it basically splits.

Maybe you have a link of an explanation about the momentum? I actually can't find the right theory behind it.

Timmertjuhh said:
What do mean with the principle of negative pressure difference?
Ha, I'm allergic to the terms 'negative pressure' and 'negative temperature', that's all.
Timmertjuhh said:
explanation about the momentum
textbook about fluid dynamics ? No hits with google at all ? (else try 'venturi suction pump')

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
In my judgment, the diagram is over specified, and the total flow is not compatible with the pressures indicated. In any case, most of the flow would go from the 2 bar region out the side tube to the 1 bar region.

Likes russ_watters
Timmertjuhh said:
What do mean with the principle of negative pressure difference? I thought suction was created by a pressure under the atmospheric pressure.
That's exactly what "negative pressure difference" means: pressure - atmospheric pressure < 0

BvU said:
textbook about fluid dynamics ? No hits with google at all ? (else try 'venturi suction pump')
Also try "educator pump".

The diagram shows no flow restriction, so there's no venturi effect and no reason I can see why the flow wouldn't just exit through the low pressure branch pipe.

Chestermiller said:
In my judgment, the diagram is over specified, and the total flow is not compatible with the pressures indicated.
Can it be over and under specified at the same time?!

russ_watters said:
Also try "educator pump".
Also known as "eductor pump" or "jet pump". They are used in water wells that are more than about 32ft, 10M, deep, that's where it is impossible to draw enough vacuum (suction) to raise the water that high.

Likes Asymptotic and russ_watters
Tom.G said:
Also known as "eductor pump" or "jet pump". They are used in water wells that are more than about 32ft, 10M, deep, that's where it is impossible to draw enough vacuum (suction) to raise the water that high.
Oops, mine was a typo or autocorrect.

1. Can a Y-joint at high flow velocity create negative pressure?

Yes, it is possible for a Y-joint at high flow velocity to create negative pressure, also known as suction. This occurs when the flow velocity is high enough to create a low-pressure region at the junction of the Y, pulling fluid or air into the joint.

2. How does a Y-joint create negative pressure?

A Y-joint creates negative pressure by accelerating the flow of fluid or air through one branch of the Y, causing a decrease in pressure at the junction of the Y. This decrease in pressure creates a suction force, pulling fluid or air into the joint.

3. What factors affect the creation of negative pressure in a Y-joint?

The creation of negative pressure in a Y-joint is affected by several factors, including the flow velocity, the shape and size of the Y-joint, and the properties of the fluid or air being transported through the joint. Higher flow velocities and larger Y-joint sizes can increase the likelihood of negative pressure formation.

4. What are the potential consequences of negative pressure in a Y-joint?

The consequences of negative pressure in a Y-joint can vary depending on the application. In some cases, it can lead to fluid or air being pulled into the joint, causing potential blockages or damage. In other cases, it can result in cavitation, which can cause erosion and damage to the joint and surrounding components.

5. How can negative pressure in a Y-joint be mitigated?

Negative pressure in a Y-joint can be mitigated by properly designing the joint to handle high flow velocities and prevent the formation of low-pressure regions. This can include using specific Y-joint shapes and sizes, as well as incorporating flow control devices such as flow restrictors or diffusers to reduce the flow velocity and prevent negative pressure formation.