Solve for x: x2+10x+38≥22 | Value of x

• Thread starter FlopperJr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value Work
In summary, to determine the values of x for which x2+10x+38≥22, the equation must first be put into complete square form, (x-5)2+13≥22. Adding 13 to both sides and taking the square root results in x-5≥±3. However, this is incorrect as inequalities should not have ± solutions. Instead, the equation should be solved by setting it equal to zero and finding the solutions, which are x≥8 and x≤-2. These values should be checked in the original inequality to determine which regions satisfy the inequality, resulting in the final solution of x≥8 or x≤-2.
FlopperJr

Homework Statement

determine the values of x for which x2+10x+38≥22

Homework Equations

-b/2a I put into complete square.
the previous question in part a asked me to write the equation in the form (x+b)2+c
For that I got (x-5)2+13

The Attempt at a Solution

(x-5)2+13 ≥ 22
add 13 to both sidesthen square root both sides
and i got x-5 ≥±3
then add 5
so i get 2 answers??
x≥8 and x≥2
I think its just one x≥2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you actually check the result of (x - 5)2 + 13? You might find that you need to change some signs.
Also you said you add 13, where you should have subtracted (though according to the formula you did it right).

One of the very first things when working with functions is that you should make a plot, or at least a sketch. Can you draw the functions y = x2 + 10x + 38 and y = 22? Now check your answer [itex]x \ge 2[/itex]: does it look correct to you?

Please note that in general, you shouldn't just solve inequalities like they are equalities. What you normally do, is replace the [itex]\ge[/itex] sign by a =-sign and solve the equality first. Can you do that for us?

Okay thanks for your reply. I assume it should be (x+5)^2+13=22
then i solve that?

I got -8≤x≤-2

FlopperJr said:
Okay thanks for your reply. I assume it should be (x+5)^2+13=22
Did you assume that, or are you sure? (You can work out the brackets and simplify, you should get x2 + 10x + 38 back).

then i solve that?
Yep

FlopperJr said:
I got -8≤x≤-2
Does that agree with the sketch you drew?
Note that if you get x = -2 and x = -8 you will need to check the three regions x < -2, -2 < x < -8 and x > -8 separately (either by looking at the graph or by plugging in a number from the region) to see which way the inequality holds.

CompuChip said:
Did you assume that, or are you sure? (You can work out the brackets and simplify, you should get x2 + 10x + 38 back).

Yep

Does that agree with the sketch you drew?
Note that if you get x = -2 and x = -8 you will need to check the three regions x < -2, -2 < x < -8 and x > -8 separately (either by looking at the graph or by plugging in a number from the region) to see which way the inequality holds.

Okay, Thanks. But I'm still not understanding. Once I do that, If it matches will i just keep that answer. Also will they have to be seperate.

x≥-8 and x≤-2

Oops i had my signs reversed but I got the answer now.
x≤-8 x≥-2

Thank you so much for your time and help! It means a lot!

FlopperJr said:

The Attempt at a Solution

(x-5)2+13 ≥ 22
add 13 to both sidesthen square root both sides
and i got x-5 ≥±3
That's not how it works. You should never end up with ± in an inequality.

Here's a simpler example.

If (x -1)2 >= 9,
then x - 1 >= 3 or x - 1 <= -3
so x >= 4 or x <= -2.

Your textbook probably has some more examples.
FlopperJr said:
then add 5
so i get 2 answers??
x≥8 and x≥2
I think its just one x≥2

Ahhhh. I see now, that helps. Thank you!

What is the value of x?

The value of x depends on the specific equation or problem being solved. In math, x is often used as a variable to represent an unknown value that needs to be solved for. Therefore, the value of x can vary depending on the context.

How do I check my work for the value of x?

To check your work for the value of x, you can plug in your calculated value of x into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your value of x is likely correct. You can also use other methods such as substitution or solving the equation using a different method to verify your answer.

Why is finding the value of x important?

Finding the value of x is important because it allows us to solve equations and problems involving unknown quantities. It is a fundamental concept in math and is used in various fields such as science, economics, and engineering to find solutions and make predictions.

What are some common mistakes when finding the value of x?

Some common mistakes when finding the value of x include errors in arithmetic, forgetting to apply the correct order of operations, and not checking the final answer. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of potential mistakes when solving for the value of x.

Can the value of x be negative?

Yes, the value of x can be negative. In math, we use negative numbers to represent values that are less than zero. Therefore, if the equation or problem results in a negative value for x, it is a valid solution and should be considered as such.