Maximizing Integral Value: Finding Optimal a and b Values for x-x^2 Function

• Thread starter wisredz
  • Start date
in summary, the integral can be approximated by taking the area under the curve between two points that are as far apart as you want.
wisredz
[tex]\int_a^b (x-x^2)dx[/tex]

What values of a and b make this integral's value maximum? I have tried to do it but cannot get it. I know that the maximum value of [itex]x-x^2[/itex] is 0,25. but I'm stuck from there.
I try to write the integral in the form of a riemann sum but (b-a)s cancel each other.what am I to do?
Please help about this

Physics news on Phys.org
U can integrate and obtain a function

[tex]F(a,b) [/tex]

whose critical values are found setting the partial derivatives wrt to "a" & "b" to zero. Computing the hessian on the solutions gives the nature of the critical points: extremum or saddle.

Daniel.

Well thanks but I just introduced myself to the integral calculus so I do not understand anything from what you say.

edit: btw graphing doesn't count it is too easy using the graph

By the looks of the graph, it should be the intercepts a=0 b=1.

Daniel.

Yes but isn't there an algeabric way to calculate those values?

wisredz said:
[tex]\int_a^b (x-x^2)dx[/tex]

What values of a and b make this integral's value maximum? I have tried to do it but cannot get it. I know that the maximum value of [itex]x-x^2[/itex] is 0,25. but I'm stuck from there.
I try to write the integral in the form of a riemann sum but (b-a)s cancel each other.what am I to do?
Please help about this
Well that is easy you can make the integral as big as you want take b<a and far apart. For example if a=10 b=-10 the integral is 2000/3. If you also want to require a<b then take a the smaller zero (0) and b the larger zero (1) this gives 1/6 for the integral.

The solution is much easier. The integral is the area under the curve. If the curve is below the x axis, then the area is negative. This is the integral of a simple quadratic polynomial, so it has at most two roots. Also, you can tell that since the coefficient of the quadratic term is negative, that the graph of the polynomial opens downwards, so if you can find two roots, then the graph between those roots lies above the axis, and so you take that entire area to be your maximum area.

You can use the above ideas to produce a more formal argument that makes no reference to the graph, but looking at the graph will suggest to you what facts you should be trying to prove in order to determine a and b.

If you wanted to do it dextercioby's way, you would have to know something about functions of several variables. If you know what a Jacobian is (it's a generalization of the derivative of a single-variable function), then that matrix is zero at the critical points. Then, to determine the nature of the critical points, you determine the eigenvalues of the Hessian, which is analogous to finding the second derivative, i.e. you use the Second Derivative Test, which I'm sure you've heard of for the single variable case.

wisredz said:
Yes but isn't there an algeabric way to calculate those values?
yes
x-x^2=0
x(x-1)=0
x=0,1

oh yes thank you everybody. I must be getting dumber by each second to miss this...

1. What is the purpose of maximizing integral value?

Maximizing integral value is important in many fields of science and mathematics, as it allows us to find the optimal values for a and b in a given function. This can help us better understand the behavior of the function and make more accurate predictions and calculations.

2. How do you find the optimal values for a and b?

To find the optimal values for a and b, we use a mathematical technique called calculus. Specifically, we use the method of finding the critical points of the function, which are the values of a and b that make the derivative of the function equal to 0. These critical points correspond to the maximum integral value of the function.

3. What is the x-x^2 function?

The x-x^2 function, also known as the quadratic function, is a polynomial function with a degree of 2. It is represented by the equation f(x) = x-x^2 and is a common mathematical function used in various applications, including maximizing integral value.

4. Can you give an example of maximizing integral value for the x-x^2 function?

Sure, let's say we want to find the maximum integral value of the function f(x) = x-x^2 for the interval [0,5]. Using the method of finding critical points, we can find that the optimal values for a and b are a=1 and b=2. This corresponds to a maximum integral value of 4.17, which occurs at x=2.5.

5. Are there any limitations to maximizing integral value for a function?

Yes, there are a few limitations to consider when using this method. First, the function must be continuous on the interval of interest. Also, there may be multiple critical points that need to be evaluated to find the maximum integral value. Additionally, the method may not work for all types of functions, so it is important to understand the limitations and consider other methods if necessary.