Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Van de graff generator gives the same current. How?

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    The reason why we don't die when we touch a Van de Graff generator is because it produces a very low constant current and when you touch it only the voltage change and not the current. It's like a current source rather. But how does that produce constant current?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    It's more like a charged capacitor....one with high voltage and very low current....

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've seen an equivalent circuit for one.....

edit: I just checked wikipedia and they have a different perspective..."Since a Van de Graaff generator can supply the same small current at almost any level of electrical potential, it is an example of a nearly ideal current source."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator

If I recall the voltage drops dramatically at discharge..... before buiilding again....more like a capacitor, but it's arguable....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook