Vapor Pressure of Benzene at 50°C: 0.028 mmHg

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the vapor pressure of benzene at 50 degrees Celsius using the equation PV=nRt and the density of benzene vapor. The student initially makes a mistake in calculating the molar mass of benzene, but is able to get the correct answer of 298 mmHg after correcting the mistake.
ally1h

Homework Statement

Benzene, C6H6, has a boiling point of 80 degrees Celsius. The density of benzene vapor in equilibrium with liquid benzene at 50 degrees Celsius is 1.153 g/L. What is the vapor pressure of benzene in mmHg at 50 degrees Celsius?

Homework Equations

PV=nRt
density = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought PV=nRt might cover it.. substituting d=mv into the equation and getting:
P = dRt/m
Plugging in I get:
[(1.153 g/L)(62.364 L Torr/mol K)(323 K)] / (1084.1 g/mol)
P = 21.43 Torr = 0.028 mmHg

What am I doing wrong? My professor covered what vaporization is, not how to go about getting vaporization pressure. I have a test Wednesday and I don't know how to do any of it!

Physics news on Phys.org
ally1h said:

Homework Statement

Benzene, C6H6, has a boiling point of 80 degrees Celsius. The density of benzene vapor in equilibrium with liquid benzene at 50 degrees Celsius is 1.153 g/L. What is the vapor pressure of benzene in mmHg at 50 degrees Celsius?

Homework Equations

PV=nRt
density = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought PV=nRt might cover it.. substituting d=mv into the equation and getting:
P = dRt/m
Plugging in I get:
[(1.153 g/L)(62.364 L Torr/mol K)(323 K)] / (1084.1 g/mol)
P = 21.43 Torr = 0.028 mmHg

What am I doing wrong? My professor covered what vaporization is, not how to go about getting vaporization pressure. I have a test Wednesday and I don't know how to do any of it!

d = m / v

Sorry, that was a typo. I did divide when doing the actual problem. But I'm still not getting the answer. I forgot to add the choices on our homework handout.

a) 298
b) 50
c) 352
d) 462
e) 0.392

I still don't understand what I am doing incorrectly. Please help?

ally1h said:
Sorry, that was a typo. I did divide when doing the actual problem. But I'm still not getting the answer. I forgot to add the choices on our homework handout.

a) 298
b) 50
c) 352
d) 462
e) 0.392

I still don't understand what I am doing incorrectly. Please help?

What are the units in the answers?

What is molar mass of benzene?

The homework problem didn't give units for the answer so I have no clue. So I have no clue as to what to aim for. The molar mass of Benzene is 78.108 g/mol.

Oh! Wow, duh, I feel stupid. I calculated the molar mass incorrectly. Haha, I've got the correct answer now! It's choice A, 298!

haha, thanks for pointing out my mistake!

What is the vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C?

The vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C is 0.028 mmHg.

How is the vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C measured?

The vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as the static method or the dynamic method. These methods involve measuring the pressure of the vapor above the liquid benzene at a specific temperature.

What factors can affect the vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C?

The vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C can be affected by various factors, such as temperature, atmospheric pressure, and the presence of other substances in the surrounding environment.

Why is the vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C important?

The vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C is important because it provides information about the volatility and evaporation rate of the substance at that specific temperature. This can have implications in various industries, such as in the production and storage of benzene-based products.

How does the vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C compare to other substances?

The vapor pressure of benzene at 50°C is relatively low compared to other substances. For example, the vapor pressure of water at 50°C is approximately 92 mmHg, while the vapor pressure of ethanol at 50°C is about 380 mmHg.