Variable Frequency Generator question

In summary, to make a resonance-breaking device, you will need an audio oscillator with a variable frequency, an audio power amplifier, and a calibrated dB level meter. To achieve resonance, you will need to input the audio signal into the amplifier and adjust the dB level until the object vibrates.
Thundagere
As you can probably guess by my last few posts, I'm looking into resonance right now. I thought it would be interesting to make a device that could hit a specific resonant frequency, maybe even smash an object. Sure, people have done it, but...fun :)
Anyhow, I was looking on how to make one. Could I simply take an old set frequency generator (say, 10 KHz) and add a potentiometer in? THen just drill a hole, and you can twiddle it down and up.
Otherwise, I'm not sure how to construct one. How could I produce the vibrations necessary—and more important, control their frequency—for a relatively low price?

Physics news on Phys.org
dunno what country you are in. ?

Variable frequency audio oscillators are relatively readily available even as kitsets for under AU/US$150 that go from a few 100's of Hz to up to 20 - 30 kHz
If you are looking at breaking things with resonance you will discover that it is not just being able to attain the resonant freq of the object ( say a wine glass) you will also need to feed the audio signal into an audio power amplifier to get some significant level out.
With a calibrated dB level meter you could then do some experiments to determine the audio level needed to just make the object vibrate and the level needed to make it shatter

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
dunno what country you are in. ?

Variable frequency audio oscillators are relatively readily available even as kitsets for under AU/US$150 that go from a few 100's of Hz to up to 20 - 30 kHz
If you are looking at breaking things with resonance you will discover that it is not just being able to attain the resonant freq of the object ( say a wine glass) you will also need to feed the audio signal into an audio power amplifier to get some significant level out.
With a calibrated dB level meter you could then do some experiments to determine the audio level needed to just make the object vibrate and the level needed to make it shatter

cheers
Dave

United States, so I could probably buy one.
Could I use Audacity to generate the sound, and jack it to a good speaker? If I could control the frequency of the sound by editing it, and use the speaker to amplify it, could I maybe get some noticeable vibration out then?

1. What is a variable frequency generator?

A variable frequency generator is a device that is used to produce electrical signals with varying frequencies. It can be used for a variety of purposes, such as testing electronic equipment, simulating real-world conditions, and controlling the speed of motors.

2. How does a variable frequency generator work?

A variable frequency generator works by producing an electrical signal with a specific frequency through the use of a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO), which can be adjusted to change the frequency of the output signal. This signal is then amplified and sent to the output, where it can be used for various applications.

3. What are the benefits of using a variable frequency generator?

There are several benefits to using a variable frequency generator, including its ability to produce a wide range of frequencies, its precision and accuracy, and its versatility in various applications. It also allows for easy control and adjustment of frequency, making it a useful tool for testing and experimentation.

4. What are some common uses for a variable frequency generator?

A variable frequency generator has many practical applications. It is commonly used in electronic testing and troubleshooting, as well as in research and development. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and manufacturing for controlling the speed of motors and simulating real-world conditions.

5. How do I choose the right variable frequency generator for my needs?

When choosing a variable frequency generator, there are several factors to consider, such as the required frequency range, accuracy and precision, output power, and additional features like waveform generation and modulation capabilities. It is important to carefully assess your specific needs and research different models to find the best fit for your requirements.