Variable Separation and Partial Fractions

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the method of quadrature and applying partial fractions. The solution involves integrating and using logarithmic properties to eventually solve for x(t). There is a misunderstanding regarding the constant 'c' and the correct form for x(t), but the conversation ultimately concludes with the clarification that x(t) should be expressed as a function of something other than t.
erok81

Homework Statement

dx/dt=3x(x-5); x(0)=2

Homework Equations

dx/dt=F(x)G(t)

dx/dt=x'

The Attempt at a Solution

First I separated the variables using F=3x(x-5) and G=3

x'/(3x(x-5))=3

Applying method of quadrature:

[tex]\int\frac{x'}{(3x(x-5)}dt=\int3 dt[/tex]

On the right hand side I end up with 3t. For the left hand side I get an integral I need apply partial fractions.

After solving the partial fraction I have:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{5x-25}-\frac{1}{5x}[/tex]

Integrating that leaves me with:

1/5ln|5x-25|-1/5ln|5x|=3t+c

Multiplying both sides by 5:

ln|5x-25|-ln|5x|=15t+c

Applying log property where ln|a|-ln|b|=ln|a/b|

[tex]ln\frac{5x-25}{5x}[/tex]

Reducing that by 5:

[tex]ln\frac{x-5}{x}[/tex]

So finally I have...after taking e of both sides:

[tex]\frac{x-5}{x}=e^{15t}+c[/tex]

I am kind of stuck here solving for c...assuming I've done the above correctly.

The initial condition shows x(0)=2.

I've tried sub'ing in x=2 and t=0 to no avail. I've either done something wrong at the top or messed up this last part.

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need to do is solve for x! Try multiplying both sides of the equation by x, then isolating all 'x-terms' on one side. From there, you it will become clear what other steps need to be taken to determine your solution.

You don't need to solve for x. What makes you think you've done anything wrong so far? It looks ok to me. Just put x=2 and t=0 and solve for c. What answer are you expecting to get?

The answer in the back of the book is:

[tex]x(t)=\frac{10}{2+3e^{15t}}[/tex]

Besides the fact that I can't seem to get to that answer, I've tried about six of these using the same method and end up with the same result - a similar answer but not correct.

If I plug in the values x=2 and t=0 I get this...

[tex]x(t)=e^{15t}-\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

erok81 said:
The answer in the back of the book is:

[tex]x(t)=\frac{10}{2+3e^{15t}}[/tex]

Besides the fact that I can't seem to get to that answer, I've tried about six of these using the same method and end up with the same result - a similar answer but not correct.

If I plug in the values x=2 and t=0 I get this...

[tex]x(t)=e^{15t}-\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

Ok, I see what you are doing wrong. When you exponentiate log((x-5)/x)=15*t+c you get (x-5)/x=e^(15t+c)=C*e^(15t). The c doesn't remain an additive constant. I missed that, sorry. Now find C and solve for x.

Last edited:
Ooooh, that is exactly what I was doing wrong in every problem I tried.

For some reason I'd do e^15t+c which is e^15t*e^c. e^c is still a constant but rather than keep it as a multiplier, I'd throw in as a plus c. Now I see what I was doing wrong.

Perfect. Thank you!

Actually, I think I am still missing something.

Using (x-5)/x=ce^15t and x(0)=2, I come up with x(t)=-3/2e^15t

Which isn't even close.:confused:

erok81 said:
Actually, I think I am still missing something.

Using (x-5)/x=ce^15t and x(0)=2, I come up with x(t)=-3/2e^15t

Which isn't even close.:confused:

How did you manage that? I get (x(t)-5)/x(t)=(-3/2)*e^(15t) to start out with ok, now you still have to solve for x(t).

Maybe that is my problem. I used x(0)=2 to get x(t)=-3/2e^15t

(x-5)/x=ce^15t -> (2-5)/2=ce^15(0) which got me x(t)=-3/2e^15t...if that makes sense. To me it seems that is the same thing as solving (x(t)-5)/x(t)=(-3/2)*e^(15t) except I wouldn't have had the -3/2 like you have..since I had to use x(0)=2 to get that.

erok81 said:
Maybe that is my problem. I used x(0)=2 to get x(t)=-3/2e^15t

(x-5)/x=ce^15t -> (2-5)/2=ce^15(0) which got me x(t)=-3/2e^15t...if that makes sense. To me it seems that is the same thing as solving (x(t)-5)/x(t)=(-3/2)*e^(15t) except I wouldn't have had the -3/2 like you have..since I had to use x(0)=2 to get that.

I don't know what's going through your head. Putting t=0 and x=2 as you said gives c=(-3/2). That's fine. That gives you (x(t)-5)/x(t)=(-3/2)*e^(15t). That's NOT the same as x(t)=(-3/2)*e^(15t). !? If the solution were x(t)=(-3/2)*e^(15t) then if I put t=0 into that I get x(0)=(-3/2).

Trust me, I don't know what's going through my head either. My professor skipped these and the section of the book doesn't go over them either so I have zero idea what I am doing. Sorry for the thick-headedness.

Let me give it another try.

Ok...I think this is where I am confused on this step.

I don't see the difference in this problem between (x(t)-5)/x(t) and (x-5)/x when I am solving for x. I feel like I've solved one and I'm just doing it again.

Wait...for the x(t) I am not solving for an actual value like I was before when I solved for c before. I am trying solve for x(t)=some equation. Right?

Being this stupid is painful. :rofl:

erok81 said:
Ok...I think this is where I am confused on this step.

I don't see the difference in this problem between (x(t)-5)/x(t) and (x-5)/x when I am solving for x. I feel like I've solved one and I'm just doing it again.

Wait...for the x(t) I am not solving for an actual value like I was before when I solved for c before. I am trying solve for x(t)=some equation. Right?

Being this stupid is painful. :rofl:

There is no difference between x and x(t). You just don't always write the '(t)' part to save space. You have (x-5)/x=(-3/2)e^(15t). Now just use algebra to solve for x. Try it. That is x(t). Yes. You are to get a form where x(t) is expressed as a function of t.

Ok, I definitely get it now and see where I was confused. I was doing some of it out of order compared to how I normally do them.

Thanks again for putting up with me. I really appreciate it. I wouldn't have understood these without the help.

Just tried it again and success! I have the exact answer that appears in the back of the book.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

1. What is variable separation?

Variable separation is a method used to solve differential equations by isolating the dependent variable on one side of the equation and the independent variable on the other side.

2. How is variable separation used in partial fractions?

In partial fractions, variable separation is used to break down a fraction with a polynomial in the denominator into smaller fractions with simpler denominators. This allows for easier integration and solving of the equation.

3. What is the purpose of partial fractions?

The purpose of partial fractions is to simplify complex fractions involving polynomial expressions. This can make it easier to solve equations involving fractions and to find antiderivatives.

4. What are the steps for using variable separation and partial fractions?

The steps for using variable separation and partial fractions are as follows:

1. Find the partial fraction decomposition by factoring the denominator and writing it as a sum of simpler fractions.
  2. Use variable separation to isolate the dependent variable on one side of the equation.
  3. Integrate both sides of the equation.
  4. Use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown coefficients in the partial fraction decomposition.
  5. Combine the solutions for the coefficients and the integrated equation to find the final solution.

5. What are some common applications of variable separation and partial fractions in science?

Variable separation and partial fractions are commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to solve differential equations involving complex systems. They are also used in chemistry and biology to model reactions and processes. Additionally, these techniques are useful in economics and finance for modeling and predicting market trends.