Variation of fine structure constant and spacetime?

In summary: This could provide clues about the underlying cause for the variation, such as hidden dimensions or a changing speed of light.In summary, there has been recent discussion about the controversial results from Webb et al. showing that the fine structure constant varies spatially. Hypothetically, if these results were correct, it could potentially have implications for our understanding of spacetime and the structure of the universe. However, the results are currently inconsistent and should be taken with caution. Further research and measurements would be needed to fully understand the implications of a varying fine structure constant.
asimov42
Hi all,

I'm going to ask a naive question - hope that's ok. There's been a lot of recent discussion of the results from Webb et al. which indicate that the fine structure constant varies spatially. I realize the results are very controversial - I'm wondering, hypothetically, if these results were shown to be correct:

Would this have implications for our view of spacetime? I.e. would the 'structure' of spacetime vary with location? E.g., would we still work with a smooth 3+1 manifold? Would the geometry of the manifold change?

Sorry, I realize that the above is probably not very coherent - it's a question from a novice ;-)

Thanks.

J.

Space news on Phys.org
1. The fine structure constant is a constant which describes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction. Changing the fine structure constant changes things like the energy levels of atoms.
2. The results for the varying structure constant have been inconsistent and varied, which is a strong indication that the results are spurious and should be disregarded at this time.

asimov42 said:
Would this have implications for our view of spacetime? I.e. would the 'structure' of spacetime vary with location? E.g., would we still work with a smooth 3+1 manifold? Would the geometry of the manifold change?

Hard to say. It will just be one more piece of the puzzle that people will use to figure out what is going on. If we did find that the fine structure constant was changing either in distance or time, the next step would be to take detailed measurements on how it was changing.

1. What is the fine structure constant and how does it relate to spacetime?

The fine structure constant, denoted by α (alpha), is a fundamental physical constant that characterizes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between charged particles. It determines how much an electron is affected by an electromagnetic field. This interaction is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in spacetime.

2. Does the fine structure constant vary over time and if so, why?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the fine structure constant varies over time. It is considered a fundamental constant, meaning it remains constant throughout the universe and throughout time. However, some theories suggest that the fine structure constant may have been different in the early universe compared to its value now.

3. What is the significance of variations in the fine structure constant?

Variations in the fine structure constant can have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics. If the constant were to vary significantly, it could challenge established theories and require a revision of our understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe.

4. How is the fine structure constant measured and what is its current value?

The fine structure constant is measured through a variety of experiments involving the interaction of charged particles with electromagnetic fields. Its current accepted value is approximately 1/137. This value has been confirmed by numerous experiments to be consistent with observations.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or experiments focused on understanding variations in the fine structure constant?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and experiments aimed at understanding variations in the fine structure constant. These include precision measurements with advanced technology, as well as theoretical studies to better understand the role of the constant in the laws of physics. As our understanding of the universe continues to evolve, so too does our understanding of the fine structure constant and its potential variations.