Show Geodesics are Diameters on Riemann Metric | Variational Calculus Homework

In summary: Solving these equations gives $x(t) = at + (1-t)b$ and $y(t) = ct + (1-t)d$. Substituting these values in the length equation, we get$$L(f) = \int_0^1 \frac{1}{1-a^2t^2 -c^2t^2}\sqrt{a^2 + c^2}dt. $$Evaluating this integral, we get $L(f) = \frac{\sqrt{a^2+c^2}}{\sqrt{1-a^2-c^2}}$. Since this integral is independent of $
MarkovMarakov

Homework Statement

The Riemann metric on [itex]\{z\in C: |z|<1\}[/itex] is defined as [itex]dx^2+dy^2\over 1-(x^2+y^2)[/itex]. I wish to show that the geodesics are diameters. Please help!

Homework Equations

As above. And I suspect the Euler Lagrange equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using the Euler Lagrange equations (since one way to do this is clearly to just variational calculus) but I can't get the correct form no matter what :( I even tried changing the metric into polar coordinates but I still don't get the answer.

Also, I have noticed that this metric is very similar to the one for the hyperbolic Poincare disc model, only scaled. Is it possible to directly deduce results from that? Nonetheless I am guessing that the calculus method should be more robust.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:Let $p$ and $q$ be two points on the circle $\{z\in \mathbb C: |z|=1\}$. We have to show that the shortest path from $p$ to $q$ is a diameter.Let $f : [0,1] \to S^1$ be the parametrized geodesic such that $f(0) = p$ and $f(1) = q$. Then the length of the curve is given by$$L(f):= \int_0^1\sqrt{g_{ij}\dot f^i \dot f^j}dt. $$where $\dot f^i = \frac{d}{dt}f^i$ and $g_{ij}$ is the metric tensor. In this case, the metric tensor is $g_{ij} = \frac{1}{r^2} \delta_{ij}$ where $r=1-|f|^2$ and $\delta_{ij}$ is the Kronecker delta. Then we have$$L(f) = \int_0^1 \frac{1}{1-|f|^2}\sqrt{\dot f_x^2 + \dot f_y^2}dt. $$Let $f(t) = x(t) + iy(t)$, then we have$$L(f) = \int_0^1 \frac{1}{1-x^2-y^2}\sqrt{\dot x^2 + \dot y^2}dt. $$Now, since $f(0)=p$ and $f(1)=q$, let us assume that $x(0) = a$ and $x(1) = b$ and similarly $y(0) = c$ and $y(1) = d$. Now, minimizing $L(f)$ with respect to $x(t)$ and $y(t)$ gives the Euler Lagrange equations$$\ddot x - \frac{2x(\dot x^2+\dot y^2)}{1-x^2-y^2} = 0. $$and$$\ddot y - \frac{2y(\dot x^2

1. What is a geodesic on a Riemann metric?

A geodesic on a Riemann metric is a curve that has the shortest length between two points, and it is determined by the Riemannian metric tensor. Essentially, it is the path of minimum distance between two points on a curved surface.

2. How do you show that geodesics are diameters on a Riemann metric?

To show that geodesics are diameters on a Riemann metric, we can use the variational calculus approach. This involves finding the path that minimizes the length functional, which is the integral of the Riemannian metric along the geodesic curve. The resulting equation will show that the geodesic is indeed a diameter.

3. Why is it important to show that geodesics are diameters on a Riemann metric?

This is an important concept in Riemannian geometry because it allows us to calculate distances and angles on curved surfaces. It also helps us understand the curvature of the surface and how it affects the path of shortest distance between two points.

4. What is the relationship between geodesics and the Riemann curvature tensor?

The geodesic equation is closely related to the Riemann curvature tensor. The geodesic equation describes the path of shortest distance between two points, while the Riemann curvature tensor describes the curvature of the surface at any given point. The Riemann curvature tensor can be used to calculate the deviation of a geodesic from a straight line, giving us insight into the curvature of the surface.

5. Are geodesics always diameters on a Riemann metric?

No, geodesics are not always diameters on a Riemann metric. If the Riemann curvature tensor is non-zero, there will be cases where the geodesic is not a diameter. In these cases, the geodesic will still be the shortest path between two points, but it will not necessarily be a straight line or a diameter.