1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Various Calc I questions

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(Sorry I don't know how to insert nice looking equations)

If the position function of a particle is given by
    s = t3 - 4.5t2 - 7t, t >= 0
    , the particle reaches an instantaneous
    velocity of 5 m/sec when t =

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, the problem I'm having is how to do this to find t instead of finding the velocity. If I attempt to find the derivative, I always get stuck at something like:

lim h -> t [(t+h)3 - 4.5(t+h)2 - 7(t+h)] - [t3 - 4.5t2 - 7t] ALL OVER h

I can play with that a little bit, but it never gets anywhere. thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that you have to use the definition of the derivative, expand your (t + h)3 and (t + h)2 terms and then combine all like terms in the numerator. There should be some simplification so that you can then divide by the h in the denominator. Finally, take the limit as h --> 0 and you will be left with your derivative.
  4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    Well you need to find the derivative. I can tell you the answer is 4 but you should find it for yourself. If that is where you get stuck, expand it out and cancel out like terms. What i mean by that is calculate (t+h)(t+h)(t+h) and then find 4.5(t+h)(t+h) and so on. You will see that all terms without the h cancel out, and you are able to divide everything by h.

Keep in mind that the answer you will then have is now a speed function, not a position function. If you are still stuck post again.
  5. Jan 18, 2010 #4
    OK, I did that, and assuming my algebra was right I got 3t2 - 9t - 7

And here I'm stuck again. Do I just set that equal to 5 and solve?
  6. Jan 18, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

That is the correct value of s'(t). Now evaluate s'(t) at t = 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
  7. Jan 18, 2010 #6
    Awesome now I see. Thanks for the help Mark and dacruick.

Ill probably have a few more questions over the next few hours.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook