Varrying load distance applies a two equal forces on two roller

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of b by summing the moments around C, taking into account the angular acceleration being zero. However, since the pawl is loose and can rotate freely at a point 8" up, it must also be taken into consideration when finding the direction and magnitude of the force at H. The final equation for b would change from (b-7)*L to (b-9)*L, resulting in b=29.
GarrettKoep

Homework Statement

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/374/20856431.jpg

Homework Equations

Moment = R cross F
Couple moments?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to sum the moments from A, B and L all about C but I am not sure about the relationships between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi GarrettKoep! :smile:
GarrettKoep said:
I think I have to sum the moments from A, B and L all about C but I am not sure about the relationships between them.

Yes, that's right …

you know the directions of the forces at A B and L, but you have no idea which direction the force is at C, so the only sensible thing is to take moments about C. :wink:

And since the angular acceleration is (obviously!) zero, that means that the sum of the torques (moments) must be zero.

What do you get? :smile:

After summing the moments about C I calculated that b=27

Hi GarrettKoep! :smile:
GarrettKoep said:
After summing the moments about C I calculated that b=27

(How did you get that? Anyway …)

erm :redface: … when I said "you have no idea which direction the force is at C", I thought that the "pawl" was rigidly fixed to the rest of the body.

But now that I've looked at the picture more carefully :rolleyes:, I realize that the pawl is loose … it can rotate freely at that unnamed point 8" up … let's call that point H.

And since the pawl isn't rotating, that means that the force at C must balance the force at H.

So we know the direction of both the forces at C and at H.

And the rigid body is supported by forces at A B L and H.

Use that information to find the direction and magnitude of the force at H, and then use moments to find b.

Sorry I missed that point earlier. :redface:

Okay, so if you calculated the sum of the moments about H the equation for b would change from (b-7)*L to (b-9)*L and they others would stay the same ( Fab *20). In conclusion, b would then be equal to 29.

If you want anyone to confirm that, you'll have to show your detailed calculations. :smile:

GarrettKoep: Your current answer is incorrect. Try again.

Related to Varrying load distance applies a two equal forces on two roller

1. What is varying load distance?

Varying load distance refers to the changing distance between two equal forces applied to two rollers. This distance can affect the balance and stability of the rollers and the object being moved.

2. How does varying load distance impact the forces applied on the rollers?

The varying load distance can impact the forces applied on the rollers by changing the distribution of weight and the direction of the forces. This can affect the overall movement and stability of the rollers.

3. What is the importance of considering varying load distance in designing roller systems?

Considering varying load distance is important in designing roller systems because it can affect the overall functionality and safety of the system. By understanding the impact of load distance, engineers can ensure that the system is properly balanced and able to handle different types of loads.

4. How do two equal forces on two rollers affect the movement of an object?

Two equal forces on two rollers can create a balanced system where the object is able to move smoothly and efficiently. However, if the load distance varies, it can affect the forces applied and potentially cause instability or uneven movement.

5. Can varying load distance be adjusted in a roller system?

Yes, varying load distance can be adjusted in a roller system by changing the positioning of the rollers or using different types of rollers with varying load capacities. Other factors such as friction and weight distribution should also be considered when adjusting load distance.