Vector component perpendicular

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the component of a vector that is perpendicular to another vector. The formula for finding this component is given as v - (v*w/norm of v), where v is the original vector and w is the vector it is perpendicular to. However, there is also a formula for finding the projection of v onto w, which is < -2/3, 2/3, 2/3 > in this case. By subtracting this projection from v, the perpendicular component < -7/3, -8/3, 1/3 > is obtained. The conversation also clarifies the use of the unit vector in the direction of w in these calculations.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Suppose v = <-3,-2, 1> and w = <-1,1,1>. Then
projw(v) = < -2/3, 2/3, 2/3 > ,
and the component of v perpendicular to w is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood how to get the projection, and tried using the component formula Compaonb= a*b/magnitude( A )

But did not get the correct answer which is w2 = < -7/3, -8/3, 1/3 >

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that projection given? Because that doesn't jive with what I get.

If you find the part of v that is parallel to the direction of w, then the only other part of v that remains must be perpendicular to w, no?

That is the answer to the projection yes, I don't understand what you are trying to explain though?

Okay, right, that projection is good. That is indeed the projection of [itex]v[/itex] onto [itex]w[/itex]. You could call it [itex]v_\parallel[/itex].

The point I'm making is that, if [itex]a + b = c[/itex], then [itex]b = c - a[/itex], so if [itex]v_\parallel + v_\perp = v[/itex], then [itex]v_\perp = ?[/itex]

Perfect I got the correct answer. So what your saying is by getting the projection of v onto w. It gives me a vector V which is parallel to W, and to get the component of that vector we subtract the original vector v by the parallel component " if we want the perpendicular component".

Where I am confused is that there is a formula in my book for getting the component, and its in the form Comp v onto w = v*w/norm of v

Why would using that be incorrect?

Thank you for your help btw

The component of v parallel to w is obtained by first calculating the unit vector in the direction of w (dividing w by its own magnitude), and then dotting v with that unit vector. The component perpendicular to w is obtained by subtracting the component parallel to w (times the unit vector in the direction of w) from v.

What is a vector component perpendicular?

A vector component perpendicular is a part or segment of a vector that is perpendicular to another vector. This means that the two vectors are at right angles to each other.

How do you calculate the vector component perpendicular?

The vector component perpendicular can be calculated by taking the dot product of the two vectors and dividing it by the magnitude of the other vector. This will give you the magnitude of the perpendicular component. Then, to find the direction, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine to find the angle between the two vectors.

Why is the vector component perpendicular important?

The vector component perpendicular is important because it helps us understand and analyze the motion of objects in two or three dimensions. It also allows us to break down a complex vector into smaller, simpler components that are easier to work with.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector component perpendicular?

The main difference between a scalar and a vector component perpendicular is that a scalar only has magnitude, while a vector component perpendicular has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by a single numerical value, while vector components are represented by both a magnitude and a direction.

Can there be more than one vector component perpendicular?

Yes, there can be multiple vector components perpendicular in relation to a single vector. This is because a vector can have multiple directions that are perpendicular to it. However, it is important to note that the vector components must all be perpendicular to the same vector, not each other.