1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Components physics homework

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    Determine the x and y components. A 40 lb force vector that makes an angle of 120 degree counterclockwise from the -y direction.

I did Ax= (40)(-cos120 degree) and Ay= (40)(sin120 degree)

I got the right answer, I just want to make sure that this is the correct way of solving the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

AEM

I read your earlier thread with Tiny_Tim and noticed that you wanted a rule as to when to use the formulas he suggested. When I was teaching, I used to tell my students to draw a careful diagram and label the angles the vector makes with each axis and work then use trigonometry to find the projection of the vector on to the axes. I think that way you will make fewer mistakes.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3
    Okay. Thank you. Also, was the way I solved the problem correct?

5. Feb 16, 2009 #4

AEM

Well, you said that you got the right answer, but I'm puzzled. Isn't your vector in the first quadrant making a 30 degree angle with the x axis?

Your solution is appropriate for a vector that makes an angle of 120 degrees with the Positive X axis.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  6. Feb 17, 2009 #5
    Yes, it is. I must have done something wrong with the equation. How would I fix it?

7. Feb 17, 2009 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The x-component of A is [tex]\hat x \cdot \vec A[/tex] (which is equal to [tex](1)|A|\cos\theta_{\mbox{\small between $\vec A$ and $\hat x$}}[/tex]).
    The y-component of A is [tex]\hat y \cdot \vec A[/tex] (which is equal to [tex](1)|A|\cos\theta_{\mbox{\small between $\vec A$ and $\hat y$}}[/tex]).

You can also express the components as
    [tex]A_x=A\cos\theta[/tex]
    [tex]A_y=A\sin\theta[/tex]
    where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the counterclockwise angle from the positive-x axis.
    Note that this angle is in the range [tex]0\leq \theta < 360^\circ[/tex] (and so [tex]-1\leq \cos\theta\leq 1[/tex] and [tex]-1\leq \sin\theta\leq 1[/tex]).

The above are the best facts to remember.
    If you need to work with other angles, you need to draw a good picture and express the given angle in terms of the angles above [and possibly use some trig identities, especially if you want a general formula using some other choice of angles or axes].

So, for instance, if you are given a counterclockwise angle [tex]\phi[/tex] with respect to the -y axis, what is the corresponding counterclockwise angle [tex]\theta[/tex] from the +x-axis?

8. Feb 17, 2009 #7
    It would be the same numbers for both however the positive x direction, both the x and y component would be positive and for the negative y direction, both the x and y component would be negative. Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook