Can ALL Vector Fields Be Expressed as a Product?

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether all vector fields can be expressed as the product of a scalar field and a constant vector. The person asking the question is curious about applying this concept to Stokes' theorem, but is unsure if it applies to all vector fields. The conversation also touches on the definition of a vector field and concludes that not all vector fields can be expressed in this way.
yoghurt54
Hey - I'm stuck on a concept:

Are ALL vector fields expressable as the product of a scalar field [tex]\varphi[/tex] and a constant vector [tex]\vec{c}[/tex]?

i.e. Is there always a [tex]\varphi[/tex] such that

[tex]\vec{A}[/tex] = [tex]\varphi[/tex] [tex]\vec{c}[/tex] ?

for ANY field [tex]\vec{A}[/tex]?

I ask because there are some derivations from Stokes' theorem that follow from this idea, and I'm not sure these rules apply to all vector fields, because surely there are some vector fields that can't be expressed as such a product.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of vector field that you are using?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but my understanding of a vector field in this context is that it's a field in a coordinate system where each component is a function of the coordinates of that point, e.g.
[tex]\vec{A}(x,y,z) = (x^2 - y^2, xz, y^3 + xz^2)[/tex]

Last edited:
The answer to your original question is obviously no. Vector fields would have many different vectors which are not scalar multiples of each other.

The vector field as you've described it would consist of a field of parallel vectors, each perhaps having a different length, as constituted by your scalar field phi. Clearly not all vector fields are of this type (ie. parallel).

1. Can all vector fields be expressed as a product?

No, not all vector fields can be expressed as a product. Some vector fields are not conservative and therefore cannot be expressed as a product of two functions.

2. What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a vector field in which the line integral between any two points is independent of the path taken between those points. This means that the work done by the vector field is the same regardless of the path taken.

3. How can you determine if a vector field is conservative?

A vector field is conservative if its curl is equal to zero. This means that the vector field is irrotational, or has no rotation at any point. Another way to test for conservatism is to check if the vector field satisfies the property of being path-independent.

4. Can a non-conservative vector field be expressed as a product?

No, a non-conservative vector field cannot be expressed as a product. This is because a non-conservative vector field has a non-zero curl, meaning it has rotation at some points and is not path-independent.

5. Is it always necessary to express a vector field as a product?

No, it is not always necessary to express a vector field as a product. Some vector fields are easier to work with and understand when expressed as a product, but it is not always possible to do so. It is important to understand the properties and behavior of a vector field, regardless of how it is expressed.