Vector Functions Amusement Park Ride

In summary: This only happens at one point, which is (2π, 4, 0).In summary, Kate stares straight at her mother while on the ride when she reaches the point (2π, 4, 0). The arc length of Kate's ride can be calculated as ∫√(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2 + z'(t)^2)dt from t=0 to t=2π, which equals 4π. If she stayed on the ride for 0≤t≤4π, she would travel a distance of 8π. This is because the arc length formula is proportional to the time interval, so doubling the time interval would double the distance traveled
rashomon

Homework Statement

Kate's mother puts her on an amusement park ride. While on the ride, Kate follows the path
r(t) = (t-sin(t))i + (1-cos(t))j + 0 k for 0≤t≤2π. Kate's mother stands at location (2π, 4, 0)
while Kate is on the ride. Kate is a little scared, so she hangs on tight and stares straight ahead until the ride ends.

(a) When, if ever (and at what location), does Kate stare straight at her mother while on the ride?

(b) Calculate the arc length of Kate's ride as a function of time. How far does Kate travel on the ride?

(c) Using your arc length formula from part (b), how far would Kate go if she stayed on the ride for 0≤t≤4π? Comment on your results.

Homework Equations

r'(t)=<x'(t),y'(t),z'(t)>

The Attempt at a Solution

I am mostly troubled by part (a). I think it is the point at which the tangent to the space curve (r'(t)) would contain the given point if that tangent vector were extended into a line. But I can't seem to get very far with the numbers. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rashomon said:

Homework Statement

Kate's mother puts her on an amusement park ride. While on the ride, Kate follows the path
r(t) = (t-sin(t))i + (1-cos(t))j + 0 k for 0≤t≤2π. Kate's mother stands at location (2π, 4, 0)
while Kate is on the ride. Kate is a little scared, so she hangs on tight and stares straight ahead until the ride ends.

(a) When, if ever (and at what location), does Kate stare straight at her mother while on the ride?

(b) Calculate the arc length of Kate's ride as a function of time. How far does Kate travel on the ride?

(c) Using your arc length formula from part (b), how far would Kate go if she stayed on the ride for 0≤t≤4π? Comment on your results.

Homework Equations

r'(t)=<x'(t),y'(t),z'(t)>

The Attempt at a Solution

I am mostly troubled by part (a). I think it is the point at which the tangent to the space curve (r'(t)) would contain the given point if that tangent vector were extended into a line. But I can't seem to get very far with the numbers. Thanks.

If the little girl is looking directly at her mother, her (daughter's) tangent vector will be parallel to the segment that joins the point on the ride with the point at which her mother is located.

1. What is a vector function amusement park ride?

A vector function amusement park ride is a type of ride that utilizes vector functions to create a unique and thrilling experience for riders. Vector functions involve both magnitude (speed) and direction, which allows for a wide range of movements and forces to be incorporated into the ride.

2. How do vector functions make amusement park rides more exciting?

Vector functions allow for a greater range of movements and forces to be incorporated into the ride, making it more dynamic and unpredictable. This can create a more thrilling and immersive experience for riders.

3. Are vector function amusement park rides safe?

Yes, vector function amusement park rides are designed and tested to ensure the safety of riders. The movements and forces used in vector functions are carefully calculated to provide a thrilling experience while still maintaining the safety of riders.

4. What types of vector functions are used in amusement park rides?

There are many different types of vector functions that can be used in amusement park rides, including linear, quadratic, and trigonometric functions. These functions can be combined and manipulated to create a wide variety of movements and forces.

5. How do engineers and scientists incorporate vector functions into amusement park ride designs?

Engineers and scientists use mathematical models and computer simulations to design and test amusement park rides that utilize vector functions. This allows them to predict and analyze the movements and forces that will be present in the ride, ensuring a safe and exciting experience for riders.