Solve Vector Geometry Problem - Find Line Intersecting & Perpendicular

In summary, In 2D, a perpendicular to <a, b> is <b, -a> since that way <a, b>. In 3D, the simplest thing to do is just take one of the components 0 so that the problem goes back to 2D. The line has the vector <1,1,1> as its direction. The dot product between their direction vectors should be 0.
mathrocks
I have a question about solving the following problem
"Find the line through (3,1,-2) that intersects and is perpendicular to the line x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t."

My question is regarding the intersection part, I know how to find the equation of the line that is perpendicular to another line but not both perpendicular and intersecting.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd think your forgeting that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is 0 think about it...

what?
dot product...
the answer is as easy as you can think

(3,1,-2)+t(1,1,1)

why the hell you need dot product?

mathrocks said:
My question is regarding the intersection part, I know how to find the equation of the line that is perpendicular to another line but not both perpendicular and intersecting.
If two lines are perpendicular to each other, don't you think they're already intersecting?

what?
dot product...
the answer is as easy as you can think

(3,1,-2)+t(1,1,1)

why the hell you need dot product?

And that line is perpendicular to x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t?

If two lines are perpendicular to each other, don't you think they're already intersecting?

No, two perpendicular lines in R^3 don't necessarily intersect.

Last edited:
Muzza said:
And that line is perpendicular to x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t?

Wouldn't (3,1,-2)+t(1,1,1) be correct for the line perpendicular to x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t since the vector <1,1,1> is coming from that?

A direction vector of (3,1,-2)+t(1,1,1) is (1,1,1), and a direction vector of x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t is (1,1,1). Two lines are perpendicular if and only if their direction vectors are perpendicular. Surely (1,1,1) is not perpendicular to (1,1,1)?

Muzza said:
A direction vector of (3,1,-2)+t(1,1,1) is (1,1,1), and a direction vector of x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t is (1,1,1). Two lines are perpendicular if and only if their direction vectors are perpendicular. Surely (1,1,1) is not perpendicular to (1,1,1)?

So, how would you go about finding a line that is perpendicular?

Muzza said:
No, two perpendicular lines in R^3 don't necessarily intersect.
Ah.. I over-looked that.

mathrocks said:
So, how would you go about finding a line that is perpendicular?
The dot product between their direction vectors should be 0.

Note: there exist an infinite number of lines (in 3D) through a given point and perpendicular to a given line. Perhaps part of the problem is that there are too many answer. You should know that, in 2D, a perpendicular to <a, b> is <b, -a> since that way <a, b>.<b,-a>= ab-ab= 0. In 3d, the simplest thing to do is just take one of the components 0 so that the problem goes back to 2D.

To find a perpendicular to <1, 1, 1> try <0, a, b> What must a, b be?
Of course, <a, 0, b> and <a, b, 0> would work as well.

the line has the vector <1,1,1> as its direction
dot with the vector that lies on the perp line c...
[tex]
\vect{c} = <c_x, c_y, c_z>[/tex]
[tex]<1,1,1> dot <c_x, c_y,c_z> = 0 [/tex]
gives you
[tex]
c_x = -c_y - c_z [/tex]
[tex]c_y free [/tex]
[tex]c_z free
[/tex]

subracting the vector that points to the point on the line of perpendicularity (r), and the vector the point we are trying to make a line through gives us the vector in the direction of the line which is c...
[tex]
<r_x, r_y, r_z> - <3,1,-2> = <-c_y-c_z, c_y, c_z>
[/tex]
[tex]r_x - 3 = -c_y - c_z [/tex]
[tex]r_y - 1 = c_y [/tex]
[tex]r_z + 2 = c_z [/tex]

however the terminal point of vector r must lie on the origal line..there fore..

r_x = t -1
r_y = t - 2
r_z = t - 1 ...substute...

[tex]
(t-1) - 3 = -c_y - c_z [/tex]
[tex] (t-2)-1 = c_y [/tex]
[tex](t - 1) + 2 = c_z [/tex]

which we can easily solve for t...t = 2 put find the vector c by substuting in the t value...you'll get...
[tex] \vect{c} = <-2, -1, 3> [/tex]
now we can form the line equation
x = -2t +3
y = -t + 1
z = 3t -2

done...check the dot product its perp

Last edited:

1. What is vector geometry and why is it important?

Vector geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of vectors in a multi-dimensional space. It is important because it helps us understand and solve complex problems involving direction, magnitude, and position.

2. How do I find the intersection point of two lines using vector geometry?

To find the intersection point of two lines, you can use the method of setting their equations equal to each other and solving for the variables. Alternatively, you can use the cross product of the two lines' direction vectors to find the point of intersection.

3. What does it mean for two lines to be perpendicular in vector geometry?

In vector geometry, two lines are perpendicular if they intersect at a 90-degree angle. This means that their direction vectors are orthogonal, or perpendicular, to each other.

4. Can I solve a vector geometry problem without knowing the magnitude of the vectors?

Yes, it is possible to solve some vector geometry problems without knowing the exact magnitude of the vectors. As long as you know the direction and relative positions of the vectors, you can use vector operations to find solutions.

5. How can I check if a line is perpendicular to another line using vector geometry?

If two lines are perpendicular, their direction vectors will be orthogonal to each other. This means that the dot product of the two direction vectors will be equal to zero. So, to check if a line is perpendicular to another line, you can calculate the dot product of their direction vectors and see if it equals zero.