Understanding Vector Components of a Downward Facing Force

In summary, the conversation is about how to solve a problem involving a vector \vec{F} and its components. The parallelogram rule for adding vectors is used to find the components, which are not necessarily perpendicular. The two methods for solving the problem are to use the lengths given to find angles and then solve for \vec{F}, or to resolve \vec{F} into components parallel to AB and BC and use the sine rule or cosine rule to find the magnitude of \vec{F}. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to come up with a force diagram and how to use the tip-to-tail method.
ThomasHW
If anyone could explain to me how to do the problem below that would be great. I don't understand how the vector [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] can be split into components when it's facing straight down?

http://tunerspec.ca/school/question6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the parallelogram rule for adding vectors... from the tail of F draw a line parallel to BC... extend AB so that it intersects this line...

Do you see the triangle?

No I don't... I don't see how F, AB, and BC can fit together to make a triangle...

I uploaded a picture drawing the components of F parallel to AB and BC. Let me know if it makes sense:

http://www.photoleech.com/action.php?do=show&imgid=image/21149

click on the picture to make it bigger.

Ah, thanks.

So to solve it, I should use the lengths given to find an angle, and then solve for F from there?

ThomasHW said:
Ah, thanks.

So to solve it, I should use the lengths given to find an angle, and then solve for F from there?

exactly. that should do it...

another method:
an indirect way to approach this... suppose the AB member is exerting a 5.19kN force (upward and to the right at joint B)... if you do the sum of forces at the joint B = 0... and solve the equations... you can get the magnitude of F that way also...

I got an answer of 6.64kN for F. If you did the question, did you get that or does that sound right?

If you'd like to see my work, let me know and I'll scan it.

ThomasHW said:
I got an answer of 6.64kN for F. If you did the question, did you get that or does that sound right?

If you'd like to see my work, let me know and I'll scan it.

Yeah, I'm getting something different...

one thing... the two components of F aren't supposed to be perpendicular... it looks kind of perpendicular in my drawing, but they're not supposed to be perpendicular...

ThomasHW said:
Ah, thanks.

Yeah, you'll need two angles, because the two components aren't perpendicular.

http://www.tunerspec.ca/school/triangle.jpg

Is this the triangle I should be using? Or am I making it wrong?

Bump!

ThomasHW said:
Bump!

that diagram doesn't look right to me... the force diagram should look like the one I drew... only thing is that it's not a right triangle...

Try to see which angles in the force diagram are equal to the angles in the structure... try to find equal angles...

What lines did you use in the force diagram that you drew? I don't get how you came up with that diagram...

ThomasHW said:
What lines did you use in the force diagram that you drew? I don't get how you came up with that diagram...

The way to get that diagram... draw a line through the tail of F (the end without the arrow) parallel to BC.

draw a line extending AB upwards and to the right...

The two lines intersect.

Does this diagram make sense:

http://www.photoleech.com/action.php?do=show&imgid=image/21154

Oh, I thought you were using the tip-to-tail method to figure out F by moving CD and AB into a triangle.

I don't remember how this method works, any chance you could explain it? Or send me to a page that will?

ThomasHW said:
Oh, I thought you were using the tip-to-tail method to figure out F by moving CD and AB into a triangle.

I don't remember how this method works, any chance you could explain it? Or send me to a page that will?

You can resolve a force into any two directions as long as they're in the same plane and they aren't parallel... the components don't necessarily have to be perpendicular. For example you can resolve a force into horizontal and vertical components... but this isn't the only way. In this case you can resolve F into a component parallel to AB and a component parallel to BC... the two components add to F.

I've marked down two pairs of angles (one pair purple, one pair green... do you see why they are equal?

http://www.photoleech.com/action.php?do=show&imgid=image/21156

I've marked the components in red, and F in blue...

Ahh, yes I do see that they're equal.

I don't remember ever doing this method though, so I'm not sure what to do next...

ThomasHW said:
Ahh, yes I do see that they're equal.

I don't remember ever doing this method though, so I'm not sure what to do next...

Find the angles in green and purple... once you do that, you can use the sine rule or cosine rule to get the magnitude of F... ie the blue side... you know the red side opposite the green angle is 5.19kN.

Ok, here is what I did:

http://www.tunerspec.ca/school/triangle1.jpg

[tex]x = 69.44^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]theta = 33.69^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]fishy = 76.87^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{F} = 5.4kN[/tex]

Is that what you got?

ThomasHW said:
Ok, here is what I did:

http://www.tunerspec.ca/school/triangle1.jpg

[tex]x = 69.44^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]theta = 33.69^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]fishy = 76.87^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{F} = 5.4kN[/tex]

Is that what you got?

No, but your angles are right. Did you use the sine rule? I did F/sin(76.87) = 5.19/sin(33.69) and solved for F.

I used F/sin(76.87) = 5.19/sin(69.44).

That was just a dumb mistake. I'm not sure how I ended up using that angle, oh well.

[tex]\vec{F} = 9.11kN[/tex]

Right?

ThomasHW said:
I used F/sin(76.87) = 5.19/sin(69.44).

That was just a dumb mistake. I'm not sure how I ended up using that angle, oh well.

[tex]\vec{F} = 9.11kN[/tex]

Right?

yup. that's right.

Awesome, thanks a ton for the help. :)

1. What is a downward facing force?

A downward facing force is a type of force that acts in a direction towards the ground or downward. Gravity is an example of a downward facing force.

2. How do you calculate the vector components of a downward facing force?

To calculate the vector components of a downward facing force, you first need to determine the magnitude and direction of the force. Then, you can use trigonometry to break down the force into its horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle of the force, and the vertical component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the sine of the angle of the force.

3. Why is it important to understand vector components of a downward facing force?

Understanding vector components of a downward facing force is important because it allows for a more accurate analysis of the force and its effects. By breaking down the force into its components, we can better understand how it will affect objects or structures in different directions and how to properly account for it in calculations or experiments.

4. How does the angle of a downward facing force affect its vector components?

The angle of a downward facing force can greatly affect its vector components. If the angle is perpendicular to the ground (90 degrees), the horizontal component will be zero and the entire force will act in the vertical direction. As the angle decreases, the horizontal component will increase and the vertical component will decrease. If the angle is parallel to the ground (0 degrees), the horizontal component will be equal to the magnitude of the force and there will be no vertical component.

5. Can a downward facing force have a negative component?

Yes, a downward facing force can have a negative component. This occurs when the angle of the force is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative horizontal component and a positive vertical component. This can happen when an object is being pulled down at an angle, for example.