Proving Sin(squared) theta + Cos(squared) theta = 1: Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter Propaganda777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, the statement "Sin(squared) theta + Cos(squared) theta = 1" can be proven using the Pythagorean theorem. By substituting the values of x and y in terms of theta and simplifying, it can be shown that the equation holds true for any value of theta.
Propaganda777

Homework Statement

Prove/Show

Sin(squared) theta + Cos(squared) theta = 1

I'm new to vectors and am having difficulty solving this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Propaganda777 said:

Homework Statement

Prove/Show

I'm new to vectors and am having difficulty solving this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There are multiple ways to do this... what are you supposed to start with... is this regarding dot product by any chance?

Remember you can write a unitary vector as:

cos(theta) i + sin(theta) j

Shouldn't be too hard to go from there.

Propaganda777 said:

Homework Statement

Prove/Show

This has nothing to do with vectors! It's the Pythagorean theorem!

My instructor said solve it any way possible. Could someone show me how to work it out using the pythagorean theorem, I'm still very lost at this.

Propaganda777 said:
My instructor said solve it any way possible. Could someone show me how to work it out using the pythagorean theorem, I'm still very lost at this.

Suppose you have a right triangle with hypoteneuse 1, and an angle theta. What are the lengths of the other two sides?

we just learned angle theta today, and as ignorant as this sounds what exactly is an angle theta. I understand where it is on the right triangle, but does it have an exact amount of degrees and how does it relate to the problem in helping to solve it.

okay so
Sin theta = y/r and
Cos theta = x/r

correct?

Propaganda777 said:
okay so
Sin theta = y/r and
Cos theta = x/r

correct?

yeah... so y = rsintheta. x = rcostheta

we know that by the pythagorean theorem x^2 + y^2 = r^2. sub in the values of x and y in terms of theta...

its been a while since I used the pythagorean theorem so...

x^2+y^2 = 1

now where would I go from here since there are two variable to solve for? lol I'm just forgetting all the basics.

If I remember correctly, angles play a role in solving for two variables, right

ok I think I got it,

Sin^2 theta = (.71/1)^2
Cos^2 theta = (.71/1) ^2

(.71/1)^2 + (.71/1)^2 = 1.0082 (about 1)

thanks for the help:)

Propaganda777 said:
ok I think I got it,

Sin^2 theta = (.71/1)^2
Cos^2 theta = (.71/1) ^2

(.71/1)^2 + (.71/1)^2 = 1.0082 (about 1)

thanks for the help:)

yeah, but you don't need to assume a particular theta...

x^2 + y^2 = r^2

(rcostheta)^2 + (rsintheta)^2 = r^2

then divide both sides by r^2

and you get

(costheta)^2 + (sintheta)^2 = 1

Related to Proving Sin(squared) theta + Cos(squared) theta = 1: Beginner's Guide

1. What is the purpose of proving Sin(squared) theta + Cos(squared) theta = 1?

The purpose of proving this identity is to demonstrate the relationship between the sine and cosine functions in trigonometry. It shows that the sum of their squares is always equal to one, regardless of the value of theta, which is a fundamental concept in trigonometry and has many practical applications in mathematics and science.

2. How do you prove Sin(squared) theta + Cos(squared) theta = 1?

The most common method for proving this identity is by using the Pythagorean identity, which states that Sin(squared) theta + Cos(squared) theta = 1 is equivalent to 1 = 1. This can be proven by substituting the values for Sin(theta) and Cos(theta) from the unit circle and simplifying the equation. Other methods, such as using the double angle formula, can also be used to prove this identity.

3. Is this identity only valid for a specific value of theta?

No, this identity is valid for all values of theta. This is because the sine and cosine functions are periodic, meaning that their values repeat at regular intervals. Therefore, the sum of their squares will always be equal to one, regardless of the value of theta.

4. What are some real-world applications of this identity?

This identity is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and navigation. It is essential in calculating the trajectories of objects in motion, such as projectiles or satellites, and in analyzing the behavior of waves and vibrations. It is also used in calculating the angles and distances in geometric shapes and structures, making it an essential tool in architecture and construction.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving this identity?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when proving this identity. One is forgetting to use the Pythagorean identity or another appropriate trigonometric identity to simplify the equation. Another is making arithmetic errors when substituting values for Sin(theta) and Cos(theta) from the unit circle. It is also essential to remember that this identity is valid for all values of theta, not just a specific range.