Solving Vector Problems: Homework Statement and Equations Explained

• Thread starter cdlegendary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem presents two vectors, A and B, and a third vector C that is perpendicular to A and has a scalar product of 18 with B. Using the equations C * B = 18 and A * C = 0, which represent the dot product between two vectors, we can solve for the components of C and find its direction in the xy-plane.
cdlegendary

Homework Statement

You are given vectors vec A= 4.6i - 6.6j and vec B= - 3.0i + 7.2j. A third vector vec C lies in the xy-plane. Vector vec C is perpendicular to vector vec A and the scalar product of vec C with vec B is 18.0. (the i and j are hat values, they have a ^ over them)

Homework Equations

C * B = 18
C * B = |C|*|B|cos(x)
A * C = 0, because they are parallel

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the two equations
(Cx)(Bx)+(Cy)(By) = 18
(Ax)(Cx)+(Ay)(Cy) = 0

but could not reach a solution. I would greatly appreciate some guidance

Physics news on Phys.org
(Cx)(Bx)+(Cy)(By) = 18
(Ax)(Cx)+(Ay)(Cy) = 0

You are given Bx, By, Ax, Ay, so you simply have 2 equations with 2 unknowns which you can solve for by a number of ways.

.I would first start by understanding the problem and the given information. It seems like you are given two vectors, A and B, and you are asked to find a third vector, C, that is perpendicular to A and has a scalar product of 18 with B.

To solve this problem, we can use the dot product formula: A * B = |A|*|B|cos(theta), where |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of the vectors and theta is the angle between them. Since we know that C is perpendicular to A, theta must be 90 degrees, making cos(theta) = 0.

Next, we can rewrite the given scalar product equation as C * B = |C|*|B|cos(theta) = |C|*|B|*0 = 0. This means that the dot product of C and B must be 0.

Using the dot product formula, we can expand the dot product of C and B as (Cx)(Bx)+(Cy)(By) = 0. We also know that C is perpendicular to A, so the dot product of C and A must also be 0. This gives us the equation (Cx)(Ax)+(Cy)(Ay) = 0.

Now, we have a system of two equations with two unknowns (Cx and Cy). We can solve for one variable in terms of the other and plug it into the other equation to solve for the remaining variable.

For example, we can solve for Cx in terms of Cy in the first equation: Cx = -(Cy)(By)/Bx. Then we can substitute this into the second equation, giving us -(Cy)(By)(Ax)+(Cy)(Ay) = 0. We can then factor out Cy and solve for it, which gives us Cy = 0.

Now, we can plug this value of Cy into our equation for Cx and solve for it, giving us Cx = 0.

Therefore, the vector C is C = 0i + 0j, which means it is a zero vector. This makes sense because a zero vector is perpendicular to all other vectors and has a dot product of 0 with any other vector.

In conclusion, the solution to this problem is a zero vector, C = 0i + 0j. I hope this helps guide you in your solution.

1. What are vector problems?

Vector problems involve the use of mathematical equations and concepts to solve problems related to vector quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and force. These problems often require the use of trigonometry and vector algebra.

2. How do I approach solving vector problems?

The first step in solving a vector problem is to carefully read and understand the given homework statement. Then, draw a diagram and label all known and unknown quantities. Next, use the appropriate equations and mathematical concepts to solve for the unknown quantity.

3. What equations are commonly used in solving vector problems?

Some of the most commonly used equations in vector problems include the Pythagorean theorem, the law of sines and cosines, and the equations for vector addition, subtraction, and dot product. It is important to have a good understanding of these equations in order to effectively solve vector problems.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems?

One common mistake in solving vector problems is forgetting to take into account the direction of the vector quantities. It is also important to use the correct units and to be careful with trigonometric calculations. Additionally, it is important to double check your work and make sure all calculations are accurate.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving vector problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving vector problems is through practice. Make sure to understand the fundamental concepts and equations, and then attempt a variety of problems to strengthen your understanding. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study in a group to discuss different approaches and solutions to vector problems.