1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Problem

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    I was told to solve this non graphically. Can this problem be solved non graphically? If so, what are the appropriate steps involved. Really need to understand this stuff.

Vector A forms an angle θ with the positive part of the x axis. Find the components of A along x and y if:
    a. |A| = 8 m, θ = 60º
    b. |A| = 6 m, θ = 120 º
    c. |A| = 1.2 m, θ = 225º

m denotes meters

Thank you very much for all the help. This is my first day on this forum and it's really amazing. I've learned so much just reading all the different threads.

Keep it up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are different ways of solving for vector components; judging from the way the question is asked, the following might make the most sense.

Whenever you are dealing with the angle FROM the x-axis, the x-component of the vector will be the magnitude of the vector times the cosine of the angle; the y-component will be the magnitude times the sine of the angle.

If you later are given the angle from the y-axis, then the cosine function will give you the y component and the sine will give you the x component.

In general, the component along any axis will always be the magnitude times the cosine of the angle to that axis.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. Sep 15, 2004 #3
    I had to edit the question.
    |A| = 8 m, θ = 60º not A = 8 m, θ = 60º

5. Sep 15, 2004 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is the same. The absolute value bars around the "A" is the same thing as saying "the magnitude of vector A." In this case the magnitude is 8 m regardless of its direction .
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?