1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector proof

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    Prove that [tex]\frac{|B|A+|A|B}{|A|+|B|}[/tex] is the bisector of the angle formed by A and B. where i have used normal text for vector and abs value bars to represent magnitude of vector.

i have no clue how to get started on this. i have tried many approaches such as constructing a triangle with a, b, and b-a, but i cannot seem to make any progress. a couple of hints on getting started would be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2
    Write two equations:

[tex] ax+by+c = 0[/tex]
    [tex] cx+dy+e = 0 [/tex]
  4. Oct 29, 2006 #3
    and what do these equations represent?
  5. Oct 29, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know off the top of my head (i'm not a vector geometry expert), but if you call the bisector vector C, taking [tex]A \cdot C[/tex] and [tex] B \cdot C[/tex] and knowing the cosine half angle formula should be a decent way to start
  6. Oct 29, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You want to know that the vector you constructed (I'll call it C) is the angle bisector of A and B. Therefore, you want to know:

(1) The angle between A and B
    (2) The angle between A and C
    (3) The angle between B and C

don't you?
  7. Oct 29, 2006 #6
    Suppose that A and B intersect at some point Q, and R is some point on A , and S is some point on B . Write the vector equations of the individual lines, and then of the bisector.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  8. Oct 29, 2006 #7
    so i wrote A=Q+tQR
    and B=Q+tQS,
    as my two vector equations...how can i write the bisector
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?