1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Rank problems

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    Rank the following velocities according to the kinetic energy a particle will have with each velocity, greatest first: (a) v = 4i +3j, (b) v = -4i +3j, (c) v = -3i + 4j, (d) v = 3i - 4j, (e) v = 5i, and (f) v = 5 m/s at 30 degrees to the horizontal.

K = 1/2mv^2

I am not sure how to start.

I am sure this question is rather easy considering it is the very first question after the chapter. However, I read the chapter 2x and they never mention finding kinetic energy given velocity vectors... Maybe someone could explain to me how I should start this problem or what the key ideas here are. When I see velocity vectors I see points on a graph, maybe I should be looking at them differently?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    Velocity is a vector, so it has a direction and it has a magnitude. The latter is commonly known as speed. Kinetic energy is proportional to the square of magnitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook