Why is there a minus sign in the vector sum of two perpendicular vectors?

In summary, the vector \vec{E}_n is the vector sum of the two perpendicular vectors \vec{E}_r and \vec{E}_{\theta}. The magnitude of \vec{E}_n can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, with the components of \vec{E}_r and \vec{E}_{\theta} as the legs of a right triangle. However, if \vec{E}_n is drawn horizontally, the equation E_n=E_r\cos(\theta)+E_{\theta}\sin(\theta) can also be used to find the magnitude. The direction of \vec{E}_{\theta} may need to be reversed in this case.
_Andreas

Homework Statement

The vector [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex] is the vector sum of the two vectors [tex]\vec{E}_r[/tex] and [tex]\vec{E}_{\theta}[/tex], which are perpendicular to each other (see attached picture). Calculate the magnitude of [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E_n=E_r\cos(\theta)+E_{\theta}\sin(\theta)[/tex]

But this is wrong. It's supposed to be a minus sign instead of a plus. I have no idea why. I thought it would be to simply add the components of [tex]\vec{E}_r[/tex] and [tex]\vec{E}_{\theta}[/tex] along the direction of [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex]. Why the minus sign?

Attachments

• Jävla fan.jpg
    Jävla fan.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
_Andreas said:

Homework Statement

The vector [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex] is the vector sum of the two vectors [tex]\vec{E}_r[/tex] and [tex]\vec{E}_{\theta}[/tex], which are perpendicular to each other (see attached picture). Calculate the magnitude of [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The attachment is still pending approval, so I can't see the image you attached. Based on your description, I have a right triangle with E_n as the hypotenuse and E_r and E_theta as the legs of the triangle. E_r is the base of the triangle and E_theta is the altitude.

If my interpretation of your description is correct, your equation just above is incorrect. You've omitted the vector "caps" in the equation above, so I don't know if E_n is now supposed to be a magnitude.

In any case, you have E_n = E_r + E_theta (vectors).
So |E_r| = |E_r| cos theta and |E_theta| = |E_r| sin theta.
|E_n| = sqrt{|E_r|^2 + |E_theta|^2}
_Andreas said:
But this is wrong. It's supposed to be a minus sign instead of a plus. I have no idea why. I thought it would be to simply add the components of [tex]\vec{E}_r[/tex] and [tex]\vec{E}_{\theta}[/tex] along the direction of [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex]. Why the minus sign?
Until I can see the drawing, I don't know.

_Andreas said:
You are assuming that [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex] is horizontal. If true, then your equation is OK. In general, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude as Mark44 stated.

Could it be that you have the direction of [tex]\vec{E}_{\theta}[/tex] reversed?

Doc Al said:
You are assuming that [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex] is horizontal. If true, then your equation is OK. In general, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude as Mark44 stated.

Yes, [tex]\vec{E}_n[/tex] is horizontal. But about the magnitude: the result seems to be a scalar (negative surface charge density divided by permittivity).

Doc Al said:
Could it be that you have the direction of [tex]\vec{E}_{\theta}[/tex] reversed?

I've drawn the picture exactly as it appears in my book, so I doubt that. However, it does indeed seem to be standard practice to draw it in the opposite direction (opposite to the direction in which it is drawn in my book, that is).

1. What is a vector sum in polar coordinates?

A vector sum in polar coordinates is a mathematical operation that combines the magnitude and direction of two or more vectors to produce a single vector. It takes into account the angle and distance of each vector from the origin point.

2. How do you calculate the vector sum in polar coordinates?

The vector sum in polar coordinates can be calculated by first converting each vector into its polar form, which includes the magnitude and angle. Then, the magnitudes are added together using basic trigonometric functions, and the resulting angle is determined using the law of cosines. The sum of these values gives the magnitude and angle of the resulting vector.

3. What is the difference between vector sum and vector components in polar coordinates?

A vector sum in polar coordinates combines the magnitude and direction of multiple vectors to produce a single vector. On the other hand, vector components in polar coordinates refer to the individual magnitude and direction of a vector in relation to the horizontal and vertical axes.

4. Can a vector sum in polar coordinates be negative?

Yes, a vector sum in polar coordinates can be negative. This occurs when the resulting vector is in the opposite direction of the original vectors, resulting in a negative magnitude. The direction of the vector is determined by the angle, which can also be negative in certain cases.

5. What is the significance of polar coordinates in vector addition?

Polar coordinates are particularly useful in vector addition because they provide a more intuitive representation of magnitude and direction. They also allow for the addition of vectors that are not aligned with the traditional horizontal and vertical axes, making them more versatile in solving real-world problems.