Vectors and 2 dimensional motion, driving me nuts

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of a student standing at the edge of a cliff and throwing a stone horizontally over the edge with a speed of 21.0 m/s. The cliff is 46.0 m above a flat horizontal beach. The question is to find the time it takes for the stone to strike the beach and the speed and angle of impact when it lands. The formula used to calculate the time is "Delta Y=Vyo*T - (1/2)*g*(t square)", which gives a time of 3.06 seconds. The final velocity of the stone is calculated to be 36.6 m/s. The conversation also mentions difficulty in finding the angle of impact and suggests looking for tutorials and
skjhlkj

Homework Statement

A student stands at the edge of a cliff and throws a stone horizontally over the edge with a speed of 21.0 m/s. The cliff is h = 46.0 m above a flat horizontal beach
Initial v =21.0m/s
Delta Y= 46.0
Need to know, How long after being released does the stone strike the beach below the cliff? & With what speed and angle of impact does the stone land?

Homework Equations

I calculated the time = 3.06 which I got it right even though I didn't understand it. Square root of (46/4.9)=3.06s
The formula I used was "Delta Y=Vyo*T - (1/2)*g*(t square).
For some reason Initial velocity of Y was counted zero, eventhough it was given (21m/s).

The final velocity is 36.6. I don't understand How i get it right.
Vy = 21 + (-9.8)*5.88 => Vy = 36.6 m/s, Eventhought 5.88s was not the accurate answer for time (3.06s should be), but somehow 36.6 m/s was the right answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really having trouble finding the angle of impact below the horizontal.
First, I don't know what "below the horizontal means.
Second, I don't know how to calculate degree from inverse sine. I got to
.3149=sine of theta. The answer is close the 60degree, but I couldn't get it right.

Man, physics is tough. It's not just the math, but my textbook doesn't really explain much. Maybe I'm a bit slow, but the textbook doesn't show every step. It skip steps, jump around formulas and doesn't show all the work. Is there any website out there that shows detail steps? (for intro physics) :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many websites. Look in the forums under the tutorials. Also you can just google for a topic you don't understand.

"and throws a stone horizontally over the edge with a speed of 21.0 m/s"
Horizontal speed is 21. It says horizontally. What is the speed vertically then?

In two dimensions you have to find the two components of the velocity. There is vx horizontally and vy vertically.

Last edited:
The kinematics of objects following parabolic trajectories can be described by considering the horizontal and vertical motion separately. The horizontal motion progresses undisturbed by the gravitational attraction by the earth. The horizontal speed of the object remains constant. The vertical motion of the object is described by the constant acceleration equations. As time progresses one can calculate the object's x and y coordinates with these two separate motions.

1) What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector and its length represents the magnitude.

2) How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the components of the vector in each dimension.

3) What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that represents the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of the movement.

4) How do you calculate the displacement of an object in 2 dimensional motion?

The displacement of an object in 2 dimensional motion can be calculated by finding the difference between the final and initial position of the object in both the x and y dimensions.

5) What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves in a curved path under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and can be described using equations of motion and vector analysis.