Solving Vectors & Axioms Homework

In summary, Homework Equations states that scalar multiplication is associative and commutative, but addition is not. When u is replaced with (x1, y1), v is replaced with (x2, y2), and k is replaced with (x1/k, y1/k), it is shown that addition is associative and commutative.
Eleni

Homework Statement

Let V be the set of all ordered pairs of real numbers. Suppose we define addition and scalar
multiplication of elements of V in an unusual way so that when

u=(x1, y1), v=(x2, y2) and k∈ℝ

u+v= (x1⋅x2, y1+y2) and

k⋅u=(x1/k, y1/k)

Show detailed calculations of one case where V
i) satisfies one of the addition axioms (1 – 5)
ii) fails to uphold one of the addition axioms (1 – 5)
iii) satisfies one of the scalar multiplication axioms (6 – 10)
iv) fails to uphold one of the scalar multiplication axioms (6 – 10)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i)u+v=v+u: Axiom 2
u+v= (x1⋅x2, y1+y2)
v+u= (y1⋅y2, x1+x2)
∴u+v≠v+u

ii) u+(-u)= (-u)+u=(0,0): axiom 4
(x1, y1)+(-x1,-y1)= (x1⋅-x1, y1+-y1)
= (-x1, 0)

iii) 1u=u: axiom 10
ku= (x1/k, y1/k) if k=1
1u= (x1/1, y1/1)= (x1,y1)=u

iv)??

I don't know if I am even on the right track with the three that I have calculated. I feel confident in the third but the others, not so much. I also have struggled to demonstrate the fourth.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think number three is correct, and I am not an expert, but I don't think that vectors break the commutative property of addition (i.e. u+v is the same as v+u).

Likes Eleni
Eleni said:

Homework Statement

Let V be the set of all ordered pairs of real numbers. Suppose we define addition and scalar

u+v= (x1⋅x2, y1+y2) and

k⋅u=(x1/k, y1/k)

Homework Equations

u+v= (x1⋅x2, y1+y2)
v+u= (y1⋅y2, x1+x2)
∴u+v≠v+u
(i) asked you to give a case in which one of the axioms was satisfied. In any case, with u= (x1, y1), v= (x2, y2) (although you don't say that) swapping u and v swaps the "1" and "2" NOT "x" and "y".

= (-x1, 0)
x1 times -x1 is NOT, in general, equal to -x1!

ku= (x1/k, y1/k) if k=1

iv)??

I don't know if I am even on the right track with the three that I have calculated. I feel confident in the third but the others, not so much. I also have struggled to demonstrate the fourth.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Likes Eleni and RUber
Eleni said:

Homework Statement

u+v= (x1⋅x2, y1+y2) and

k⋅u=(x1/k, y1/k)

Homework Equations

Here would have been an excellent place to tell us what you are given as axioms 1 to 10.

u+v= (x1⋅x2, y1+y2)
v+u= (y1⋅y2, x1+x2)
∴u+v≠v+u

The operation on the first component is real multiplication, which is associative and commutative.
The operation on the second component is real addition, which is associative and commutative.

Therefore vector addition is associative and commutative.

= (-x1, 0)

The "zero" vector is (1,0): (1,0) + (x,y) = (1x, y + 0) = (x,y) = (x,y) + (1,0) for every (x,y).

But can you always find a unique (a,b) such that (x,y) + (a,b) = (ax, b + y) = (1,0)?

(When you can, is it actually equal to (-1)(x,y)? If it isn't, that suggests a problem with scalar multiplication...)

ku= (x1/k, y1/k) if k=1

Correct.

But note that we can't multiply any vector by [itex]0 \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. That again suggests a problem with scalar multiplication.

Likes Eleni
If these are the kind of axioms he is talking about, then numbers 2 and 4 would be impossible to do, correct?

HallsofIvy said:
(i) asked you to give a case in which one of the axioms was satisfied. In any case, with u= (x1, y1), v= (x2, y2) (although you don't say that) swapping u and v swaps the "1" and "2" NOT "x" and "y". x1 times -x1 is NOT, in general, equal to -x1!

Thank you for your help. I didn't think my calculations looked right algebraically but I rushed and wrote x1 time -x1 = -x1. I will look further into this equation.
It makes sense to not swaps the "x" and "y" now that you say it. Thank you again, I appreciate the time you have taken to help.

Isaac0427 said:
Ok, I think number three is correct, and I am not an expert, but I don't think that vectors break the commutative property of addition (i.e. u+v is the same as v+u).
I have looked into it and you are correct, they don't break the commutative property of addition. Thank you for your advice.

pasmith said:
Here would have been an excellent place to tell us what you are given as axioms 1 to 10.

My apologies, here are the 10 axioms.
  1. u+v is in V. Closure under addition.
  2. u+v=v+u. Commutative property.
  3. u+(v+w)=(u+v)+w. Associative property.
  4. V has a zero vector 0 such that for every u∈V, u+0=u. Additive identity.
  5. For every u∈V, there is a vector in V denoted by −u such that u+(−u)=0. Additive inverse.
  6. cu is in V. Closure under scalar multiplication.
  7. c(u+v)=cu+cv. Distributive property.
  8. (c+d)u=cu+du. Distributive property.
  9. c(du)=(cd)u. Associative property.
  10. 1(u)=u. Scalar identity.

The operation on the first component is real multiplication, which is associative and commutative.
The operation on the second component is real addition, which is associative and commutative.

Therefore vector addition is associative and commutative.

Thank you for your notes on this. I now see where I was wrong and have made appropriate changes.

The "zero" vector is (1,0): (1,0) + (x,y) = (1x, y + 0) = (x,y) = (x,y) + (1,0) for every (x,y).

But can you always find a unique (a,b) such that (x,y) + (a,b) = (ax, b + y) = (1,0)?

(When you can, is it actually equal to (-1)(x,y)? If it isn't, that suggests a problem with scalar multiplication...)

How would I demonstrate this for this part? I understand the zero vector now but am still a little confused about how to apply it to the question.

Correct.

But note that we can't multiply any vector by [itex]0 \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. That again suggests a problem with scalar multiplication.

Thank you for your input, I very much appreciate it.

Eleni said:

I think I may have made a mistake and posted my responses within your post. I am still trying to work out this site. I apologise.

Eleni said:
I would say that number 2 and 4 are impossible. All those axioms would with any vectors/scalars. I don't know how your teacher expects you to do this. It's like asking you to name a living thing that doesn't require some form of energy source.

Isaac0427 said:
I would say that number 2 and 4 are impossible. All those axioms would with any vectors/scalars. I don't know how your teacher expects you to do this. It's like asking you to name a living thing that doesn't require some form of energy source.
Axioms 2 and 4 are true. In fact pasmith showed what the zero vector is.
pasmith said:

SammyS said:
Axioms 2 and 4 are true. In fact pasmith showed what the zero vector is.
Sorry for the confusion. Problems 2 and 4 (see post number 1) are impossible, because all 10 axioms are always true.

Isaac0427 said:
Sorry for the confusion. Problems 2 and 4 (see post number 1) are impossible, because all 10 axioms are always true.

"Axiom" here means "defining property", not "statement accepted as true without proof". A set V is a vector space over a field F if and only if the vector addition and scalar multiplication operations, whatever they are defined to be, satisfy all of those 10 axioms.

Here it is indeed the case that at least one of the first 5 axioms doesn't hold for vector addition as defined in the OP, and it is indeed the case that at least one of the second 5 axioms doesn't hold for scalar multiplication as defined in the OP.

Eleni said:
How would I demonstrate this for this part? I understand the zero vector now but am still a little confused about how to apply it to the question.

The trouble with this sort of question is that we are so used to the standard vector operations on [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] that we just assume that [itex]\mathbf{0} = (0,0)[/itex] and [itex]-(x,y) = (-x,-y)[/itex]. But if the operations are defined differently then we have to go back to the axioms and ask: What do [itex]\mathbf{0}[/itex] and [itex]-\mathbf{v}[/itex] actually mean? And the answers are "additive identity" and "additive inverse" respectively.

Axiom 5 says that every vector [itex]\mathbf{v} \in V[/itex] has an additive inverse, ie. a [itex]\mathbf{u} \in V[/itex] such that [itex]\mathbf{v} + \mathbf{u} = \mathbf{0}[/itex]. Thus here Axiom 5 holds if and only if for every [itex](x,y) \in\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] there exists an [itex](a,b) \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] such that [itex](x,y) + (a,b) = (1,0)[/itex]. Is that the case?

Giving further hints comes far to close to doing the entire question for you, so you're on your own now.

Likes SammyS
Some of these problems can be made easier to plug in a few arbitrary values, then solve for the general case if it is not apparent. Although, after a while you won't need to this. You can follow the axioms after understanding what they are.

Let u=(1,1) and v=(2,2) for starters. Then preform the field axioms.

(a+b) U=?

Where a and b are scalers.

MidgetDwarf said:
Then preform the field axioms.

What do the field axioms have to do with this?

meant to put vector space axioms, was thinking of something else.

1. What are vectors and axioms?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. They are typically represented by an arrow and can be used to describe physical quantities such as velocity or force. Axioms, on the other hand, are statements or principles that are accepted as true without proof. In mathematics, axioms are used as the basis for constructing mathematical systems.

2. How do I solve vector problems?

To solve vector problems, you first need to understand vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. You also need to be familiar with vector notation and how to represent vectors geometrically. Once you have a good grasp of these concepts, you can use them to solve problems involving vectors.

3. What are some common applications of vectors and axioms?

Vectors and axioms are used in a wide range of fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are commonly used to model and solve problems involving motion, forces, and geometric transformations. In computer graphics, vectors and axioms are used to create 3D animations and video games.

4. Can I use vectors and axioms in real-life situations?

Yes, vectors and axioms are used in many real-life situations. For example, engineers use vectors to calculate the forces acting on a structure, and architects use axioms to design buildings with specific geometric properties. In addition, GPS systems use vector calculations to determine the location and direction of an object.

5. What are some resources for learning more about solving vectors and axioms homework?

There are many online resources that can help you learn and practice vector and axiom problems. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Math Is Fun, and Wolfram Alpha. You can also find textbooks and study guides on the subject, or seek help from a tutor or teacher. Practice is key, so make sure to work through as many problems as you can to improve your skills.