How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Angle from Multiple Forces in Physics?

In summary, the question asks about finding the acceleration and angle of a 4kg object when acted upon by 10N north, 20N east, and 5N south forces. Using the equation F=ma and adding the vector components, the acceleration is found, and the components can then be used to find the force towards the east direction.
alexandra91

Homework Statement

Hey, I'm not sure how to continue...
Forces of 10N north, 20N eat and 5N south act on an object of mass 4kg. How big is its acceleration and what angle does it make with the force in the eat direction.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew and free body diagram. Now I'm not sure if its correct to add up all three forces to get the accerlation. Or do i have to figure out the angle through using cos sin ect.
Thanks for your help
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, add up the vector components to get the net vector force, and use F=ma to get the resulting acceleration.

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

thank you very much. Now i found the accleration but how do i now fund the force towards the east direction.

alexandra91 said:
thank you very much. Now i found the accleration but how do i now fund the force towards the east direction.

You must first find the components of the net force vector. Since the coordinate system is (e,n) instead of (x,y), you just find the total Fe and the total Fn, and plug those into the vector equation F=ma to find ae and an.

1. What are vectors and components?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. Components refer to the parts that make up a vector, typically represented by the x- and y-axes.

2. How do you represent a vector graphically?

Vectors are often represented as arrows on a coordinate system, with the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector and the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity only has magnitude, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity (speed with direction) is a vector quantity.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

5. Can vectors be added and subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added and subtracted using vector addition and subtraction rules. When adding or subtracting vectors, the components of each vector are added or subtracted separately to find the resulting vector.