1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VECTORS and Components

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey, I'm not sure how to continue...
    Forces of 10N north, 20N eat and 5N south act on an object of mass 4kg. How big is its acceleration and what angle does it make with the force in the eat direction.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew and free body diagram. Now i'm not sure if its correct to add up all three forces to get the accerlation. Or do i have to figure out the angle through using cos sin ect.
    Thanks for your help
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes, add up the vector components to get the net vector force, and use F=ma to get the resulting acceleration.

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    thank you very much. Now i found the accleration but how do i now fund the force towards the east direction.

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You must first find the components of the net force vector. Since the coordinate system is (e,n) instead of (x,y), you just find the total Fe and the total Fn, and plug those into the vector equation F=ma to find ae and an.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?