Vectors and points on a circle

In summary: If so, is there a more rigorous way to do it? Thanks!Yes, your proof is still correct. There may not be a more rigorous way to do it, but it is still correct. Thanks!
Saitama

Homework Statement

Let A, B, C, D be distinct points on a circle with centre O. If there exists non zero real numbers x and y such that ##|x\vec{OA}+y\vec{OB}|=|x\vec{OB}+y\vec{OC}|=|x\vec{OC}+y\vec{OD}|=|x \vec{OD}+y\vec{OA}|##, then which of the following is always true?
A)ABCD is a trapezium
B)ABCD is a rectangle
C)ABCD is a rhombus
D)ABCD is a square

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea how to begin with this problem. Should I start by squaring the moduli? I don't know if that would help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Pranav, which statement is certainly true? ehild

ehild said:
Pranav, which statement is certainly true?

ehild

If I start by assuming x=y=1, it comes out that its a square. But how would I prove it for a general case?

I find it easiest to approach this geometrically.
All that matters wrt x and y is the ratio. If yOA, yOB, yOC, yOD lie on a circle radius y around O, where do xOA etc. lie? Now, cheating a bit, let's take x as negative and look at the locations of |x|OA etc., so xOA+yOA = yOA-|x|OA, allowing us to look at the line joining the two points instead of a vector sum. Look at the triangle formed. What formula can you think of for |yOA-(|x|)OA|?

I find it easiest to approach this geometrically.
All that matters wrt x and y is the ratio. If yOA, yOB, yOC, yOD lie on a circle radius y around O, where do xOA etc. lie? Now, cheating a bit, let's take x as negative and look at the locations of |x|OA etc., so xOA+yOA = yOA-|x|OA, allowing us to look at the line joining the two points instead of a vector sum. Look at the triangle formed. What formula can you think of for |yOA-(|x|)OA|?

The magnitude of all vectors OA,OB,OC,OD are 1. Let the angles between two of them α,β,γ,δ.
Find the magnitude of xOA+yOB, ... in terms of x,y,and the corresponding angles applying the law of cosines.

ehild

Attachments

• 4vectors.JPG
    4vectors.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 425
Sorry for the late reply.

ehild said:
The magnitude of all vectors OA,OB,OC,OD are 1. Let the angles between two of them α,β,γ,δ.
Find the magnitude of xOA+yOB, ... in terms of x,y,and the corresponding angles applying the law of cosines.

ehild

That's an excellent hint, ehild! Thanks a lot! :smile:

It can be done without assuming the radius to be one.
Referring to your attachment,
[tex]|x\vec{OA}+y\vec{OB}|=x^2|\vec{OA}|^2+y^2|\vec{OB}|^2+2xy|\vec{OA}|| \vec{OB} |\cos \alpha[/tex]
Similarly we can obtain expressions for ##|x\vec{OB}+y\vec{OC}|##, ##|x\vec{OC}+y\vec{OD}|## and ##|x\vec{OD}+y\vec{OA}|## and using the fact that ##|\vec{OA}|=|\vec{OB}|=|\vec{OC}|=|\vec{OD}|##, I get
[tex]\cos \alpha=\cos \beta=\cos \gamma=\cos \delta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \alpha=\beta=\gamma=\delta=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

This proves that these points form a square.

Thanks ehild!

You have to work a bit more on it. Two angles are not necessarily the same if their cosines are the same.
And about the questions. Is it not true that ABCD is a rectangle? Or trapezium? Rhombus?

ehild

ehild said:
You have to work a bit more on it. Two angles are not necessarily the same if their cosines are the same.
And about the questions. Is it not true that ABCD is a rectangle? Or trapezium? Rhombus?

ehild

Yes, you are right, I need to work more on it.

It is not rhombus because in a rhombus, the diagonals are not equal. In trapezium too, the diagonals are not equal.

How would I show that it isn't a rectangle? :confused:

I am not sure how would I do it but here's my take on it. Assuming that one of the angles between the diagonals is ##\alpha## and its cosine is ##\cos \alpha##, the other angle is ##\pi-\alpha## and its cosine ##-\cos \alpha## but this is contrary to the relation of cosines being equal, hence this isn't a rectangle.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• rectangle.png
    rectangle.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 452
Pranav-Arora said:
It is not rhombus because in a rhombus, the diagonals are not equal. In trapezium too, the diagonals are not equal.
In my understanding of these terms, every square is also a rhombus and a rectangle and a trapezium. They are not mutually exclusive.

haruspex said:
In my understanding of these terms, every square is also a rhombus and a rectangle and a trapezium. They are not mutually exclusive.

and a quadrilateral, with a=b, and 90° angle between the diagonals.

ehild

ehild said:
and a quadrilateral, with a=b, and 90° angle between the diagonals.

ehild

Is my proof still incomplete?

Pranav-Arora said:
Is my proof still incomplete?
I think the issue of cos α = cos β still needs some work. What are the possible solutions of that for each being in the range 0 to 2 pi?

haruspex said:
I think the issue of cos α = cos β still needs some work. What are the possible solutions of that for each being in the range 0 to 2 pi?

##\beta=±\alpha## ?

Pranav-Arora said:
##\beta=±\alpha## ?
That wouldn't allow both to be in the range 0 to 2 pi.

haruspex said:
That wouldn't allow both to be in the range 0 to 2 pi.

This would be silly but is ##\alpha=\pi+\beta## or ##\alpha=\pi-\beta##?

Well, if one of the angles is α1=(π-β), the other α2=π+β, and β≠π/2, what could be the other angles with the same cosine?

ehild.

Pranav-Arora said:
##\beta=±\alpha## ?

Or β=2π-α...

ehild

ehild said:
Or β=2π-α...

ehild

Thanks but how should I complete my proof now?

Assume that not all angles are equal, but α1=β and α2=2pi-β. What possibility would you have for the other two angles?

ehild

1. What is a vector on a circle?

A vector on a circle is a line segment that starts at the center of the circle and ends at a point on the circle's circumference. It is used to represent the direction and magnitude of a movement or force on the circle.

2. How is a vector represented on a circle?

A vector on a circle is typically represented by an arrow pointing from the center of the circle to the point on the circumference. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the movement or force.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a point on a circle?

A vector on a circle is a line segment with both direction and magnitude, while a point on a circle only has a specific location on the circumference. Vectors are used to represent movements or forces, while points on a circle are used to locate objects on the circle.

4. How are points on a circle named or labeled?

Points on a circle are often named using the letters of the alphabet, starting with the letter A and going clockwise around the circle. For example, point A would be the first point on the circle, point B would be the second, and so on. This labeling system is often used in geometry and trigonometry.

5. Can a vector and a point on a circle be the same thing?

No, a vector and a point on a circle are two different mathematical concepts. A vector has both direction and magnitude, while a point on a circle only has a specific location on the circumference. However, a vector can start at a point on a circle and end at another point on the circle's circumference, but they are still considered separate entities.