Vectors, and some weried stuff that I dont get

• Thread starter Oleg09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is about constructing a vector D using a given rule and coordinate system, and the importance of using the original coordinate axes for finding the components of D.
Oleg09
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1265/34711100.png

What is Vector D?? I only see Vector A and B, not the invisible one? Well you can define a new coridnate system X prime and Y prime and not worry about the degrees. But the other stuff is all greek to me. Book doesn't help :(, so any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is homework, in the future it should be posted in the homework help section.

It looks to me like D is the vector constructed as per the rule given on the left hand side, namely 4.7 (A+B).

Keep in mind that while it may seem like a good idea to use a tilted coordinate axis defined by A and B, the question asks for the components of the resultant vector D in terms of x and y, the original coordinate axes. So you will have to deal with the angle eventually.

You are given a "recipe" for computing D. Simply do the specified operations. The result is D.

Nabeshin said:
It looks to me like D is the vector constructed as per the rule given on the left hand side, namely 4.7 (A+B).

4.7A + B, without the parentheses.

kbaumen said:
4.7A + B, without the parentheses.

Right. Order of operations gets me every time.

1. What are vectors and how are they used in science?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In science, they are often used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

2. How are vectors different from scalars?

Scalars are quantities that have only magnitude, while vectors have both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

3. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted using basic algebraic operations. When adding or subtracting vectors, their magnitudes are combined, and their directions are either added or subtracted depending on whether they are in the same or opposite direction.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the shortest distance and direction from the starting point to the ending point. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that measures the total length of the path traveled.

5. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used extensively in physics to describe and analyze the motion and forces of objects. They are also used in other fields, such as engineering, computer graphics, and navigation systems.