1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors, and some weried stuff that I dont get

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1265/34711100.png [Broken]

What is Vector D?? I only see Vector A and B, not the invisible one? Well you can define a new coridnate system X prime and Y prime and not worry about the degrees. But the other stuff is all greek to me. Book doesnt help :(, so any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2009 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Since this is homework, in the future it should be posted in the homework help section.

It looks to me like D is the vector constructed as per the rule given on the left hand side, namely 4.7 (A+B).

Keep in mind that while it may seem like a good idea to use a tilted coordinate axis defined by A and B, the question asks for the components of the resultant vector D in terms of x and y, the original coordinate axes. So you will have to deal with the angle eventually.

4. Sep 4, 2009 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are given a "recipe" for computing D. Simply do the specified operations. The result is D.

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4
    4.7A + B, without the parentheses.

6. Sep 5, 2009 #5

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Right. Order of operations gets me every time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook