Vectors (incl. axial/psuedovectors)/Scalars

• Thread starter bon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses whether area and angle of polarization are scalars or vectors. The definitions of scalars and vectors are also mentioned, with vectors having direction and scalars not. It is noted that area can be considered a pseudovector in three-dimensional space when working with oriented area elements, while the angle of polarization is a scalar. The concept of binomial coefficients and the dimensions of different types of elements in higher dimensions is also brought up.
bon

Homework Statement

Basically, trying to determine whether the following are scalars of vectors: area and angle of polarization.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess was that area would be a scalar rather than a vector, but my notes say that it is a psuedovector - is this true? In what sense does it have direction? And why is it axial rather than a proper vector?

Angle of polarization is a scalar I'm guessing, as its just a magnitude (angle) rather than direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
bon said:

Homework Statement

Basically, trying to determine whether the following are scalars of vectors: area and angle of polarization.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess was that area would be a scalar rather than a vector, but my notes say that it is a psuedovector - is this true? In what sense does it have direction? And why is it axial rather than a proper vector?

Angle of polarization is a scalar I'm guessing, as its just a magnitude (angle) rather than direction?

(I think you have a small typo in the question. You mean "scalars or vectors", right?)

What are the definitions of scalars and vectors? How are they fundamentally different?

berkeman said:
(I think you have a small typo in the question. You mean "scalars or vectors", right?)

What are the definitions of scalars and vectors? How are they fundamentally different?

yes i did make a typo, sorry.

vectors have direction, scalars don't. both have magnitude. hence my being confused of the fact that my notes say area is a psuedovector.

bon said:
yes i did make a typo, sorry.

vectors have direction, scalars don't. both have magnitude. hence my being confused of the fact that my notes say area is a psuedovector.

Sorry, what's the definition of a pseudovector?

Do you recall doing surface integrals, like when applying Gauss's law?

Haven't covered that yet, sorry :(

To say "area is a pseudo-vector" you need to qualify a couple of things.

First that you're working in 3-space. (otherwise they are at best bi-vectors = rank two tensors)

Second that you're talking about oriented area elements (which are negative when you reverse orientation) typically defined by two vectors as the parallelogram they define.

The thing to remember is that "vectors" and "scalars" and such are so defined for arbitrary linear transformations on the space not just for rotations. A pseudo-scalar transforms like a volume element, being unchanged by rotations but scaling by the determinant of a more general transformation matrix. Since a vector defining a line element plus an area element together define a volume element (parallelepiped = oblique box) the area element must be a pseudo-vector (in 3 dim).

The vector associated with an area element is the normal vector of length numerically equal to the area. Then dotting a vector with this "pseudo-vector" gives the "pseudo-scalar" volume.

The types and dimensions follow the combinatorics of the the binomial coefficients. In 3 dim you have: 1,3,3,1 corresponding to scalar,vector, bivector=pseudo-vector, pseudo-scalar.
In four dimensions you would have: 1, 4, 6, 4, 1 and so:
scalar, vector, bivector(=pseudo-bivector), trivector=pseudo-vector, pseudo-scalar.

In five dimensions you would have 1,5, 10, 10, 5, 1 and so ...

wow okay thanks for your help. So am i right in thinking angle of polarization is a scalar?

What is the difference between vectors and scalars?

Vectors are physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, while scalars only have magnitude. Examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force, while examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time.

Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can have negative values. This indicates the direction of the vector in relation to a chosen reference point. For example, a displacement vector can have a negative value if it is moving in the opposite direction of the reference point.

What is an axial vector?

An axial vector is a type of vector that is perpendicular to the plane of rotation. It is commonly used in physics to represent quantities such as angular velocity and torque. Axial vectors are also known as polar vectors.

What is a pseudovector?

A pseudovector is a mathematical construct that behaves like a vector in some ways, but does not transform like a vector under certain operations such as reflection. Examples of pseudovectors include angular momentum and magnetic field.

How are vectors represented graphically?

Vectors are typically represented graphically as arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. The tail of the arrow is placed at the reference point of the vector.