What is the Resultant of Four Proportional Forces on a Quadrilateral?

• Thread starter batballbat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: AD.In summary, the student is trying to find the resultant of the four forces acting on a quadrilateral. They are trying to find the point in which the resultant meets CD. However, they are not able to solve the problem and are not sure how to combine the resultant with the force CD.
batballbat

Homework Statement

Four forces act along and are proportional to the sides of the quadrilateral ABCD, three act in the direction AB,BC and CD and the fourth acts from A to D; find the magnitude and direction of their resultant, and determine the point In which it meets CD.

The Attempt at a Solution

i summed up the vectors and its AD then it meets CD at D but its a wrong solution according to my book

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi batballbat! :smile:

hint: the resultant of AB and BC must go through B, mustn't it? :wink:

there is a different answer in the book but not a complete solution. and i don't know how to come up with such a solution

(just got up :zzz: …)

what is the answer?

maybe you can work backwards from that? :smile:

solution:
through B draw BL, parallel to AC, to meet CD in L; bisect DL in X; the resultatnt is a force through X, parallel to AD, and equal to twice AD.

yes, that's what i have :smile:

ok, can you see that that the resultant of the forces AB and BC must lie along the line BL ?

yes
please give a full solution

batballbat said:
please give a full solution

what?? :frown:

read the forum rules again

now explain why the resultant of the forces AB and BC must lie along the line BL

because the two forces are acting on B and the resultant of AB and BC acts along BL by parallelogram law

batballbat said:
because the two forces are acting on B and the resultant of AB and BC acts along BL by parallelogram law

that's correct :smile:

ok, now you need to combine that resultant (along BL) with the force CD …

which point must that go through?

that i do not know and i guess that's what's troubling me.
should i translate the vector CD?
ALso the resultant acts along BL but is not equal to BL isn't it?

resultant acts along AD

What is a vector quadrilateral?

A vector quadrilateral is a four-sided polygon with each side represented as a vector. It is used to describe the direction and magnitude of various physical quantities, such as force and velocity.

How do you determine the perimeter of a vector quadrilateral?

To determine the perimeter of a vector quadrilateral, you must find the sum of the magnitudes of all four vectors. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the missing sides and angles.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quadrilateral?

A scalar quadrilateral has all four sides represented by scalar quantities, meaning they only have magnitude and no direction. A vector quadrilateral has all four sides represented by vectors, which have both magnitude and direction.

Can a vector quadrilateral have parallel sides?

Yes, a vector quadrilateral can have parallel sides. This means that two sides of the quadrilateral have the same direction and magnitude, but they may be in different locations.

What is the significance of a vector quadrilateral in physics?

In physics, vector quadrilaterals are used to represent forces and velocities in a geometric way, allowing for easier visualization and calculation. They are also used to describe the motion of objects in multiple dimensions.