1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors Question

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    If you are given vector a = axi + ayj + azk and you want to find the magnitude of a, then would you just do the square root of ax2 + ay2? If so, then what about az? What is azk actually? I'm a little unclear about it being related to a.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You would do the square root of ax2 + ay2 + ay2.
    Sorry, I don't know how to make superscripts. Too bad they don't copy.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    You mean az for the last one?

And to do superscripts, just put "[.SUP] [/SUP.]" without the quotations and periods (caps don't matter). And it's for subscripts.

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes az, and thanks for the tip.

6. Sep 29, 2009 #5
    Just a quick explanation for that azk term, if you still are unclear about it.

k adds another dimension to the vector. When a vector is only in i,j it's 2D and i,j,k is 3D. See it as drawing it in a xyz-coordinate system instead of a xy one. And as was mentioned earlier, it changes things a little bit when it comes to the magnitude. You wouldn't just do the √(ax2 + ay2), because then you wouldn't take the third dimension into consideration. From there it's not too big of a leap to √(ax2 + ay2 + az2).

You can prove it using Pythagoras' theroem. If you draw a 3D vector in a coordinate system you can figure it out. It can be a bit tricky to see, but it's not impossible.

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6
  8. Sep 29, 2009 #7

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You could do it that way and you'll get the same answer.
    It would be interesting to prove that . . .

9. Sep 29, 2009 #8
    Actually I just realized that the square root of az2 + ay2 is the hypothesis. So I guess it makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook