Find Magnitude of Vector a: Solve Ax2 + Ay2 + Az2

• Thread starter Gattz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the vector az has the magnitude of √(ax2 + ay2 + az2), and it is related to the vector a by the Pythagorean theorem.
Gattz
If you are given vector a = axi + ayj + azk and you want to find the magnitude of a, then would you just do the square root of ax2 + ay2? If so, then what about az? What is azk actually? I'm a little unclear about it being related to a.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would do the square root of ax2 + ay2 + ay2.
Sorry, I don't know how to make superscripts. Too bad they don't copy.

You mean az for the last one?

And to do superscripts, just put "[.SUP] [/SUP.]" without the quotations and periods (caps don't matter). And it's for subscripts.

Yes az, and thanks for the tip.

Just a quick explanation for that azk term, if you still are unclear about it.

k adds another dimension to the vector. When a vector is only in i,j it's 2D and i,j,k is 3D. See it as drawing it in a xyz-coordinate system instead of a xy one. And as was mentioned earlier, it changes things a little bit when it comes to the magnitude. You wouldn't just do the √(ax2 + ay2), because then you wouldn't take the third dimension into consideration. From there it's not too big of a leap to √(ax2 + ay2 + az2).

You can prove it using Pythagoras' theroem. If you draw a 3D vector in a coordinate system you can figure it out. It can be a bit tricky to see, but it's not impossible.

You could do it that way and you'll get the same answer.
It would be interesting to prove that . . .

Actually I just realized that the square root of az2 + ay2 is the hypothesis. So I guess it makes sense.

1. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you need to use the Pythagorean theorem. This means squaring the x, y, and z components of the vector, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the sum. This can be expressed as √(Ax^2 + Ay^2 + Az^2).

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical principle that relates the sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. Can I find the magnitude of a vector using just its components?

Yes, the magnitude of a vector can be calculated using just its x, y, and z components. This is because the Pythagorean theorem takes into account the length of all three sides of a right triangle, which are represented by the vector's components.

4. What if the vector has more than three components?

The Pythagorean theorem can still be used to find the magnitude of a vector with more than three components. Simply square all of the components, add them together, and then take the square root of the sum.

5. Why is finding the magnitude of a vector important?

Knowing the magnitude of a vector is important because it represents the length or magnitude of the vector in a specific direction. This can be useful in various scientific and mathematical calculations, such as determining forces, velocities, and distances.