What is the Linear Velocity of a Location on Earth's Equator?

In summary: Your method is correct, but check the numbers. 3690*3.14/12 is way off from your result. ehildI re-did it, and it came out to the same? Maybe it is something you inputted into your calc, I did pi/12 first then multiplied by 3960, and it came out to this?I don't know what I am off at? I even did it the way you wrote it out, but it still worked?Looks OK to me.Looks OK to me.Thanks! :DSorry, I misread the number 3960:shy:. Your result is correct.
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

Earth rotates in on axis that goes through both the North and South Poles. It makes one complete revolution in 24 hours. If the distance from the axis to any location on the equator is 3960 miles, find the linear speed (in miles per hour) of a location on the equator.

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula V=rw to find the linear velocity, and for 'r' I used 3960, and 'w' is used 2pi/24 for making one revolution per hour, so I simplified that down to pi/12 as angular velocity.

V=3960 x (pi/12 radians/hour)≈ 1036.73 miles/hour

Is this correct? It got checked in school, but I think I was off in the decimals or something. Is there something I did wrong or?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
darshanpatel said:

Homework Statement

Earth rotates in on axis that goes through both the North and South Poles. It makes one complete revolution in 24 hours. If the distance from the axis to any location on the equator is 3960 miles, find the linear speed (in miles per hour) of a location on the equator.

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula V=rw to find the linear velocity, and for 'r' I used 3960, and 'w' is used 2pi/24 for making one revolution per hour, so I simplified that down to pi/12 as angular velocity.

V=3960 x (pi/12 radians/hour)≈ 1036.73 miles/hour

Is this correct? It got checked in school, but I think I was off in the decimals or something. Is there something I did wrong or?

Thanks for any help!

Your method is correct, but check the numbers. 3690*3.14/12 is way off from your result.

ehild

I re-did it, and it came out to the same? Maybe it is something you inputted into your calc, I did pi/12 first then multiplied by 3960, and it came out to this?

I don't know what I am off at? I even did it the way you wrote it out, but it still worked?

Mark44 said:
Looks OK to me.

Thanks! :D

Sorry, I misread the number 3960:shy:. Your result is correct.

ehild

Another way to do this, though essentially the same, is to use "velocity= distance/time". You are given that the radius of the earth, at the equator, is 3960 so the circumference is [itex]2\pi(3960)= 24881[/itex] miles. Divide that by 24 hours to get 1036.7 mph.

1. What is the velocity at Earth's equator?

The velocity at Earth's equator is approximately 1,037 miles per hour, or about 1,674 kilometers per hour. This is due to the Earth's rotation, which causes all points on the equator to move at the same speed.

2. How is the velocity at Earth's equator calculated?

The velocity at Earth's equator can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the Earth at the equator (approximately 24,901 miles or 40,075 kilometers) by the length of a sidereal day (23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4.09 seconds). This calculation yields a velocity of about 1,037 miles per hour or 1,674 kilometers per hour.

3. Does the velocity at Earth's equator vary throughout the year?

No, the velocity at Earth's equator remains constant throughout the year. However, due to the tilt of the Earth's axis, the speed of rotation does affect the length of a day, resulting in slightly longer or shorter days throughout the year.

4. How does the velocity at Earth's equator affect time measurement?

The velocity at Earth's equator is one of the factors that contributes to the length of a day. As the Earth rotates at a consistent speed, it affects how long it takes for the sun to appear in the same position in the sky, which is used to measure time.

5. Can the velocity at Earth's equator change?

The velocity at Earth's equator is relatively constant, but it can be affected by factors such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other large-scale events that can alter the Earth's rotation. However, these changes are very small and usually not noticeable to humans.