Velocity Calculation of Kicked Rugby Ball

In summary, the velocity of a rugby ball 3.0s after it is kicked vertically upwards with a speed of 16m/s is 13m/s, taking into account the acceleration of gravity. The ball reaches its maximum height and then begins to fall back down within the 3 second interval.
Rumplestiltskin

Homework Statement

What is the velocity of a rugby ball 3.0s after it is kicked vertically upwards with a speed of 16m/s? Give your answer to 2 s.f.

Homework Equations

SUVAT

The Attempt at a Solution

s = ?
u = 16
v = ?
a = g = 9.8
t = 3

Erm... v = u + at?
16 + 9.8 x 3 = 45m/s. Incorrect, try again.
...aha! Ball was kicked vertically up. Acceleration is going to be acting against. Not today, physics!
16 - 9.8 x 3 = -13m/s. Incorrect, try again.
Huh. Well, it might be a case of direction. Let's try plain 13m/s. Incorrect, try again.
Okay, let's work out the displacement so we can try v = √2gs. s = 16 x 3 - 0.5 x 9.8 x 3^2 = 3.9m. Nice round number! Must be on to something.
v = √2 x 9.8 x 3.9 = 8.7m/s. Incorrect, try again.
Wait, I'm a doughnut. That's just for free fall. I have a u value. So it's going to be v = √u^2 + 2as.
√16^2 + 2 x 9.8 x 3.9 = 18m/s. Incorrect, try again.
Uh. Oh, g would still be negative. This has got to do it.
√16^2 - 2 x 9.8 x 3.9 = 13m/s. I'm done. SOS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rumplestiltskin said:
...aha! Ball was kicked vertically up. Acceleration is going to be acting against. Not today, physics!
Looks right to me.

Rumplestiltskin said:

Homework Statement

What is the velocity of a rugby ball 3.0s after it is kicked vertically upwards with a speed of 16m/s? Give your answer to 2 s.f.

Homework Equations

SUVAT

The Attempt at a Solution

s = ?
u = 16
v = ?
a = g = 9.8
t = 3

Erm... v = u + at?
16 + 9.8 x 3 = 45m/s. Incorrect, try again.
Huh. Well, it might be a case of direction. Let's try plain 13m/s. Incorrect, try again.
Okay, let's work out the displacement so we can try v = √2gs. s = 16 x 3 - 0.5 x 9.8 x 3^2 = 3.9m. Nice round number! Must be on to something.
v = √2 x 9.8 x 3.9 = 8.7m/s. Incorrect, try again.
Wait, I'm a doughnut. That's just for free fall. I have a u value. So it's going to be v = √u^2 + 2as.
√16^2 + 2 x 9.8 x 3.9 = 18m/s. Incorrect, try again.
Uh. Oh, g would still be negative. This has got to do it.
√16^2 - 2 x 9.8 x 3.9 = 13m/s. I'm done. SOS.
This is what happens when you throw a bunch of formulas at a problem before thinking it through.

Even rugby balls kicked vertically upward can only rise so high.

What happens when the kicked ball goes up and then starts to come back down within this 3 second interval?

SteamKing said:
This is what happens when you throw a bunch of formulas at a problem before thinking it through.

Even rugby balls kicked vertically upward can only rise so high.

What happens when the kicked ball goes up and then starts to come back down within this 3 second interval?

Noted.

The velocity reaches 0, and then rises again. How do I tell what point it's at? Could still be rising.

Rumplestiltskin said:
The velocity reaches 0, and then rises again. How do I tell what point it's at?
You don't need to where this occurs, just when it occurs.

haruspex said:
Looks right to me.

Huh... just retried and it was accepted this time. That was a headache. Thanks!

Related to Velocity Calculation of Kicked Rugby Ball

1. How is the velocity of a kicked rugby ball calculated?

The velocity of a kicked rugby ball can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (usually 0 for a kick), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a kicked rugby ball?

The velocity of a kicked rugby ball can be affected by a number of factors, including the force of the kick, the angle at which the ball is kicked, the air resistance, and the surface on which the ball bounces.

3. How does the angle of the kick affect the velocity of a rugby ball?

The angle at which a rugby ball is kicked can greatly affect its velocity. A kick with a lower angle will result in a higher velocity, while a kick with a higher angle will result in a lower velocity. This is due to the fact that a lower angle kick allows for more force to be applied to the ball, while a higher angle kick results in more of the force being directed upwards rather than forwards.

4. Can the velocity of a kicked rugby ball be measured?

Yes, the velocity of a kicked rugby ball can be measured using various methods such as radar guns, high-speed cameras, or by calculating the distance the ball travels and the time it takes to reach that distance.

5. How is the velocity of a kicked rugby ball used in the game?

The velocity of a kicked rugby ball is important in the game as it determines how far and how fast the ball will travel. This can affect the outcome of the game as players must anticipate and adjust their movements based on the velocity of the ball. It is also used in training to improve kicking skills and distance.