Velocity in a Cycloidal Pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Lagrangian for a cycloidal pendulum, with the given equations for x and y. The student is struggling with finding the velocity, but is reminded that velocity is the derivative of position with respect to time and is a vector. After considering the x and y components of velocity, the correct answer for v² is found.
Paradoxx

Homework Statement

Cycloidal Pendulum, with x= RΘ+RsinΘ and y = -RcosΘ
I need to find the Lagragian.

Homework Equations

L = T - V

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to know how do I find the velocity so I can find T, which is 1/2 mv². I thought it would be dx/dΘ but it didn't work. Can anyone explain to me how can I find the velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that velocity is the derivative of position with respect to time and is a vector. What are its x and y components? Could you use these components to find ##v^2##?

Ok, I realized that I must consider x and y and derivative in relation with time.

v = dx/dt + dy/dt

then v² would be (dx/dt + dy/dt)².

I did the derivatives:

x'= RΘ' + Rcos(Θ)Θ' and y' = Rsin(Θ)Θ',

so x+y = RΘ' + RΘ' (cosΘ + sinΘ)

Also, v² = ( RΘ' + RΘ' (cosΘ + sinΘ))² = (4R²Θ'² + R²Θ'²cos²Θsin²Θ)
But in my answer it is

4R²Θ²cos²(Θ/2)

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Paradoxx said:
Ok, I realized that I must consider x and y and derivative in relation with time.

v = dx/dt + dy/dt

then v² would be (dx/dt + dy/dt)².

I did the derivatives:

x'= RΘ' + Rcos(Θ)Θ' and y' = Rsin(Θ)Θ',

so x+y = RΘ' + RΘ' (cosΘ + sinΘ)

Also, v² = ( RΘ' + RΘ' (cosΘ + sinΘ))² = (4R²Θ'² + R²Θ'²cos²Θsin²Θ)
But in my answer it is

4R²Θ²cos²(Θ/2)

What am I doing wrong?

##v=\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{dy}{dt}## is wrong. Remember that ##\vec{v}## is a vector! What is the x-component of ##\vec{v}##? What is the y-component of ##\vec{v}##? After you have the components, you can find ##v^2## by squaring the components and adding them, right?

Ohhh, you are right! It worked now, thank you very much!

1. What is a cycloidal pendulum?

A cycloidal pendulum is a type of pendulum that moves in a cycloid path rather than a simple harmonic motion. It consists of a mass attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point. As the pendulum swings, the mass follows a curved path called a cycloid.

2. How is velocity calculated in a cycloidal pendulum?

The velocity of a cycloidal pendulum can be calculated using the formula v = √(gR(1-cosθ)), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, R is the radius of the pendulum's circular motion, and θ is the angle of displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a cycloidal pendulum?

The velocity of a cycloidal pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the pendulum, and the amplitude of the swing. The gravitational acceleration also plays a role in determining the velocity.

4. How does the velocity change as the pendulum swings?

As the pendulum swings, the velocity changes constantly due to the changing angle of displacement. At the lowest point of the cycloid, the velocity is at its maximum, while at the highest point, the velocity is momentarily zero before changing direction.

5. What are the practical applications of studying velocity in cycloidal pendulums?

Studying velocity in cycloidal pendulums can help in understanding the dynamics of pendulum motion and how it can be used in various applications such as clock mechanisms, seismometers, and amusement park rides. It also provides insights into the principles of energy conservation and simple harmonic motion.