1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity - Loads of Confusion

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A baseball pitcher is known to throw a pitch with a speed of 105 miles per hour. In how many seconds will the pitch reach the catcher if the mound is 20 meters away? (assume 1600 m in 1 mile)

2. Relevant equations

v=d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    Idk how to convert yet... I always cheat and use an online one but I will be screwed for the test... So I'm going to give this a try...

105 mi = 168000 m
    1 hour = 3600 s

105 mi/h = 46.66 m/s

The other part of the question I am totally confuse on.
    So i'll take the d/v=t?

20/46.66=0.4286s?

_____________________________________________________________________________

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A satellite travels at 4,000 km/hr. If the satellite travels 8 X 10^7 meters as it goes around once, how many hours are required for one orbit?

2. Relevant equations

v=d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I have never seen a problem with scientific notation except in math. I forgot how to do all that. So this one I honestly confuse on. How can I change that scientific notion to a number? I think that's what I need to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2
    The first one seems correct to me.

All 8 x 10^7 means is 8 x 10 x 10 x10 x10 x10 x10 x 10. So you take 10 and add 6 zeros. 6 zeros, not 7 because 10^1 = 10.
    Now change it to km and you're good to go.

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

That would be correct.

_____________________________________________________________________________

You can just multiply out that number to convert it into a 'normal' number. For example if you are given 43.1 x 102, this would be the same as 4310 i.e. you actually multiply the 43.1 by the 102 (which is 100)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook