Velocity - Loads of Confusion

In summary: In this case, 8 x 10^7 would be 80000000, so you just plug that into your equation. So, 80000000/4000 = 20000 hours.
Buzur

Homework Statement

A baseball pitcher is known to throw a pitch with a speed of 105 miles per hour. In how many seconds will the pitch reach the catcher if the mound is 20 meters away? (assume 1600 m in 1 mile)

Homework Equations

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Idk how to convert yet... I always cheat and use an online one but I will be screwed for the test... So I'm going to give this a try...

105 mi = 168000 m
1 hour = 3600 s

105 mi/h = 46.66 m/s

The other part of the question I am totally confuse on.
So i'll take the d/v=t?

20/46.66=0.4286s?

Homework Statement

A satellite travels at 4,000 km/hr. If the satellite travels 8 X 10^7 meters as it goes around once, how many hours are required for one orbit?

Homework Equations

v=d/t

Honestly, I have never seen a problem with scientific notation except in math. I forgot how to do all that. So this one I honestly confuse on. How can I change that scientific notion to a number? I think that's what I need to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one seems correct to me.

All 8 x 10^7 means is 8 x 10 x 10 x10 x10 x10 x10 x 10. So you take 10 and add 6 zeros. 6 zeros, not 7 because 10^1 = 10.
Now change it to km and you're good to go.

Buzur said:

Homework Statement

A baseball pitcher is known to throw a pitch with a speed of 105 miles per hour. In how many seconds will the pitch reach the catcher if the mound is 20 meters away? (assume 1600 m in 1 mile)

Homework Equations

v=d/t

Idk how to convert yet... I always cheat and use an online one but I will be screwed for the test... So I'm going to give this a try...

105 mi = 168000 m
1 hour = 3600 s

105 mi/h = 46.66 m/s

The other part of the question I am totally confuse on.
So i'll take the d/v=t?

20/46.66=0.4286s?

That would be correct.

Buzur said:

Homework Statement

A satellite travels at 4,000 km/hr. If the satellite travels 8 X 10^7 meters as it goes around once, how many hours are required for one orbit?

Homework Equations

v=d/t

Honestly, I have never seen a problem with scientific notation except in math. I forgot how to do all that. So this one I honestly confuse on. How can I change that scientific notion to a number? I think that's what I need to do.

You can just multiply out that number to convert it into a 'normal' number. For example if you are given 43.1 x 102, this would be the same as 4310 i.e. you actually multiply the 43.1 by the 102 (which is 100)

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity different from speed?

While both velocity and speed are measures of how fast an object is moving, velocity also includes the direction of motion. Speed, on the other hand, is just the magnitude of an object's velocity.

What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for velocity is velocity = distance / time. This means that velocity is equal to the distance an object travels divided by the time it takes to travel that distance.

What are some common units for measuring velocity?

Velocity can be measured in a variety of units, but the most common are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h). In some situations, velocity may also be measured in miles per hour (mph) or feet per second (ft/s).

How does velocity relate to other concepts in physics?

Velocity is closely related to other concepts in physics, such as acceleration, displacement, and time. These quantities are all interconnected and can be used to describe the motion of an object with great accuracy.